Bios now computer will not boot :-(

Old February 20th 04, 08:05 PM
Si

Default Bios now computer will not boot :-(

I changed the bios setting on my computer and now it will not boot the
monitor don't even start up.

my system is:
Processor : AMD Athlon XP3000+
Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition
Memory : 512Mb DDR RAM
Hard Disk : 160Gb 7200rpm Hard Disk
16x DVD-ROM
Display : 5x USB
Graphics : 256Mb ATI Radeon 9200SE
Modem : 56K modem
Firewire : 2x IEEE1394 Firewire ports
Sound : 6 Channel Home Cinema Audio for 5.1 Sound
Keyboard etc. : Multi-media keyboard
Ports etc. : Standard Serial and Parallel

Could someone please help me correct the bios.

In the bios i changed the cpu speed to 333 and turned the cpu overheat
detection on and now when i turn the pc on it makes the normal noises i.e
fans are on but the hard drive isnt getting read and the monitor stays off.

Hope someone can help.
Regards
Simon

Old February 20th 04, 09:06 PM
Apollo

"Si" wrote in message
[...]

What motherboard is it? A reset of the cmos should sort it out. Look in
your mobo manual for info on this or post back if your stuck.

HTH

--
Ian

Old February 20th 04, 09:46 PM
Si

I can only see this marking on the motherbaord MS-6775 VER:100
The pc is a time brand.

Thanks for helping me Ian

Regards
Simon

Old February 20th 04, 10:18 PM
Alex

There should be a jumper you can move to clear the bios. Or you can unplug
it and take the battery out for a minute.

Old February 21st 04, 12:12 AM
Eddy

"Alex" wrote in message
There should be a jumper you can move to clear the bios. Or you can

unplug
it and take the battery out for a minute.

You will see a small button battery, or a large coin sized one pop it out
for about 10 min and it will reset your cmos.

Eddy

Old February 21st 04, 01:24 AM
Andy

Here is something you can try without having to open the case.
Hold the keyboard Insert key down and hit the computer reset button.
When the lights on the keyboard flash, release the Insert key, and hit
Delete to get back into the BIOS setup.

Old February 21st 04, 03:23 AM
Si

I moved the jumper to clear cmos but the pc wont power up while the jumper
is in the clear cmos mode so i took the button battery out. hope it works.

Old February 21st 04, 06:40 AM
kony

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 03:23:36 -0000, "Si"
wrote:

I moved the jumper to clear cmos but the pc wont power up while the jumper
is in the clear cmos mode so i took the button battery out. hope it works.

You don't need to, shouldn't power up with the jumper in clear position.

The procedure is:

UNPLUG SYSTEM
Clear CMOS Jumper (OR) Remove Battery for 10 min.
Return jumper or battery to original position
Plug system back in

This time, if you system isn't at correct speed with the bios defaults,
try "166", not "333".
Old February 21st 04, 10:13 AM
Si

Im worried now cause you all say the same thing but it's not working for me.

I did as you said and unpluged the power then put the jumper on pins' 2 and
3 to clear cmos then put the jumper back to normal position on pins' 1 and
2.
I had the cpu speed jumpers set to 166Mhz but it still don't work so i
repeated
the procedure for 100Mhz, 133Mhz and 200Mhz but its just the same result
what ever setting i use.

When i power up the pc it sounds ok fans all work but it only reads from the
HD for about 1sec then nothing happens also the floppy drive isn't being
read and the keyboard,s led for the caps lock don't light up so the keyboard
don't interact with the pc.

What a mess ive got into just for playing with some settings in the bios :-(

Old February 21st 04, 10:42 AM
Mantric

"Si" wrote in message
I can only see this marking on the motherbaord MS-6775 VER:100
The pc is a time brand.

If its a time pc, do you know the series / model number ?

Computer won't boot ArchNacho General 5 October 4th 03 05:24 PM
help: computer won't boot Rob General 3 October 4th 03 12:14 PM
Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters tb General 6 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM