Bang for buck mobo & CPU

Old December 14th 04, 03:47 AM
]v[etaphoid

Default Bang for buck mobo & CPU

In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU as far
as bang for buck goes?

Putting together a system which I want to have a decent shelf-life and
upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear when cheaper
stuff is available which can perform near identically or be overclocked to
do so. Was even considering something with an AGP or PCIExpress *and* decent
integrated graphics to save on the initial cost.

Recommendations?

Old December 14th 04, 04:10 AM
Old Gringo

http://pcrightnow.com/

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Old December 14th 04, 04:44 AM
Mac Cool

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...e-200411.ars/2
--
Mac Cool
Old December 14th 04, 07:18 AM
Tod

Nvidia 5200 Ultra or ATI 9600 ($90 or cheaper)
ATI 9100 ($25 on eBay)
ECS K7VTA3 (version 6 or later)
ECS KT-600
Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

Old December 14th 04, 12:45 PM

How big is your buck?
Or how big does your bang need to be? (What do you want to do with the
machine?)

Old December 14th 04, 12:49 PM
]v[etaphoid

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...e-200411.ars/2
--
Mac Cool

Fantastic link - exactly what I was looking for! Between the budget &
hot-rod recommendation sections, I should be well catered to.

Much obliged Mac.

Old December 14th 04, 03:23 PM
John Doe

"]v[etaphoid" wrote:

In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU
as far as bang for buck goes?
Putting together a system which I want to [last]
and upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241151

I have one. It's dirt cheap. With your choice of Athlon XP CPU.

The only thing I don't like about it so far has something to do with
the built-in LAN.

Old December 14th 04, 03:29 PM
John Doe

"Tod" wrote:

Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

A mainboard with a CPU for $60? Sold at a retail store? That sounds
scary.
Old December 14th 04, 06:00 PM
rhys

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:44:36 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...e-200411.ars/2

Good grief, I actually began to drool over that "God Box", although I
could skip about half the hardware to concentrate on the HD, the
board, the dual CPUs and the huge helpings of RAM sauce.

R.