power supply for Intel Pentium 4 531

Old August 4th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
[email protected]

Default power supply for Intel Pentium 4 531

First, is this a good brand, quality 350W PSU or a cheap
generic PSU? That matters as much as the wattage rating.

I'm not sure. It's an Antec SP-350 . . .

Next, what does the PSU label claim is the 12V amperage?

here are the voltage ratings on the label:

AC Input: 115V/8A;230V/5A;60Hz/50Hz

DC Output: +5V +3.3V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5V SB
Max. 21A 22A 10A 15A 0.3A 2.0A
Min. 0.5A 0.5A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A

+5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W

You need to more thoroughly describe the exact problems you
are having. Inspect the system for loose cables, cards,
etc, check the temps and voltages, run Memtest86+ and
Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours each.

I can't really run either test at this point, because I can't get the
system stable enough to even install an OS. But I will try those tests
if anything ever installs.

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

Old August 4th 06, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
kony

On 3 Aug 2006 20:06:53 -0700, wrote:

First, is this a good brand, quality 350W PSU or a cheap
generic PSU? That matters as much as the wattage rating.

I'm not sure. It's an Antec SP-350 . . .

Next, what does the PSU label claim is the 12V amperage?

here are the voltage ratings on the label:

AC Input: 115V/8A;230V/5A;60Hz/50Hz

DC Output: +5V +3.3V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5V SB
Max. 21A 22A 10A 15A 0.3A 2.0A
Min. 0.5A 0.5A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A

+5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W

If the PSU is working properly it should be able to power
the parts you'd mentioned. I presume you do have the 12V
4-pin connector plugged into the board.

You need to more thoroughly describe the exact problems you
are having. Inspect the system for loose cables, cards,
etc, check the temps and voltages, run Memtest86+ and
Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours each.

I can't really run either test at this point, because I can't get the
system stable enough to even install an OS. But I will try those tests
if anything ever installs.

Chieh

Don't bother trying to install the OS if you suspect it's
instable, you might succeed installing the OS but then if
the OS files are corrupt, you just have to fix the hardware
and start over installing OS again.

Turn on the system and leave it sitting in the bios hardware
monitor page, noting the temps and voltages. Also measure
with a multimeter.

Run Memtest86+ for a few hours too. You still have not
really described exactly what is happening with this
system, what the exact signs are it is not right. Does it
lock up, reboot, turn off (and if turn off, can you press
front botton to turn it on or must you unplug from AC for a
couple minutes?) ?