SSD's

Old April 29th 04, 11:54 PM
Faeandar

Default SSD's

Anyone used, have, looking to use SSD's?

Currently the only vendor I can find is Texas Memory and their RAM SAN
product line. Looks nice enough but the fact that I am unable to find
anything else in a quick Google is interesting.

Thanks.

~F
Old April 30th 04, 01:14 AM
Charlie Cassidy

Faeandar,

Most of the SSD vendors went out of business in the last couple of years.
They were small companies (or small divisions of large companies in
Quantum's case) and could not sustain themselves through the drop in it
spending over the last couple of years. Life is tough in a niche business
during lean times.

You might also want to take a look at Curtis (http://www.curtisssd.com) and
Tigi ( http://www.tigicorp.com).
Both are still in the solid state accelerator business along with TMS.

Charlie Cassidy
(former VP of Solid State at Quantum)

You might also want to take at Curtis (http://www.curtisssd.com) and Tigi

Old April 30th 04, 01:28 AM
Faeandar

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:14:41 -0400, "Charlie Cassidy"
wrote:

Faeandar,

Most of the SSD vendors went out of business in the last couple of years.
They were small companies (or small divisions of large companies in
Quantum's case) and could not sustain themselves through the drop in it
spending over the last couple of years. Life is tough in a niche business
during lean times.

You might also want to take a look at Curtis (http://www.curtisssd.com) and
Tigi ( http://www.tigicorp.com).
Both are still in the solid state accelerator business along with TMS.

Charlie Cassidy
(former VP of Solid State at Quantum)

You might also want to take at Curtis (http://www.curtisssd.com) and Tigi
"Faeandar" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone used, have, looking to use SSD's?

Currently the only vendor I can find is Texas Memory and their RAM SAN
product line. Looks nice enough but the fact that I am unable to find
anything else in a quick Google is interesting.

Thanks.

~F

I talked with TMS and they listed Curtis and Solid Data Systems as
competitors. No mention of Tigi but I will look at them as well,
thanks.

I hope your "Something of Something at Something" again....

~F
Old May 7th 04, 10:11 PM
Corto Maltese

You might also want to take a look at Curtis (http://www.curtisssd.com) and
Tigi ( http://www.tigicorp.com).
Both are still in the solid state accelerator business along with TMS.

Having dealt with TiGi I would recommend you ask LOTS of questions
before doing business with them. They do not make anything but merely
rebadge other companies' products and mark them up.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive SSD (albeit with
little protection) you can take a look at Cenatek's Rocket Drive. It
is a PCI board with DIMMs on it. Same idea as Platypus' QikDRIVE
although Platypus is out of business.

What application do you have in mind?

Cheers,

-Corto
Old May 8th 04, 02:55 AM
Faeandar

On 7 May 2004 14:11:24 -0700, (Corto Maltese)
wrote:

You might also want to take a look at Curtis (
http://www.curtisssd.com) and
Tigi ( http://www.tigicorp.com).
Both are still in the solid state accelerator business along with TMS.

Having dealt with TiGi I would recommend you ask LOTS of questions
before doing business with them. They do not make anything but merely
rebadge other companies' products and mark them up.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive SSD (albeit with
little protection) you can take a look at Cenatek's Rocket Drive. It
is a PCI board with DIMMs on it. Same idea as Platypus' QikDRIVE
although Platypus is out of business.

What application do you have in mind?

Cheers,

-Corto

Application is software builds. Currently we have 10 Linux hosts each
running builds, they hit a Linux file server to write out the build
which is then read back in through Samba (case sensitivity issue,
don't ask). All servers are connected via Infiniband and when all 10
are running they knock the file server over. We can do it with 5 but
it's still painful and not ideal.

Tried 5 over iSCSI to a NetApp and that seemed to work much better
(LUN was connected to same Linux file server but IO was balanced and
only calls made were to NFS reads rather than file system seeks).

~F
Old May 10th 04, 04:04 PM
Corto Maltese

Application is software builds. Currently we have 10 Linux hosts each
running builds, they hit a Linux file server to write out the build

What interface are your Infiniband boards? I assume some flavor of
PCI-X? Either way IB does not address IO latency which may be the big
issue here.

How big is the dataset (sources, libraries etc) the servers are
building against? How big is the completed build on average?

Have you run any IO metrics on the build servers or the file server to
see what you are doing in terms of bandwidth and IOPS?

Lots of questions but I've done this stuff before and would like to
help out.

Cheers,

-Corto