ssd

Old November 25th 10, 01:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
tg

Default ssd

gotta rave about my new ssd. For anyone who's um'ing and ar'ing about
whether to go for an ssd I would say go for it. I've just fitted a new Intel
X-25 160Gb drive, bit pricey but the speed increase is noticeable. My win7
pc boots up and shuts down in less than half the time of a normal sata drive
and programs load really quick. Everything is faster with an ssd resulting a
whole new computing experience.

Old November 25th 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
123Jim

"tg" wrote in message
gotta rave about my new ssd. For anyone who's um'ing and ar'ing about
whether to go for an ssd I would say go for it. I've just fitted a new
Intel
X-25 160Gb drive, bit pricey but the speed increase is noticeable. My win7
pc boots up and shuts down in less than half the time of a normal sata
drive
and programs load really quick. Everything is faster with an ssd resulting
whole new computing experience.

Is there a limit for the number of read write operations for your solid
state drive? .. That is/was the case for USB pen drives, which I believe is
the same technology.

Old November 25th 10, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John McGaw

On 11/25/2010 10:05 AM, 123Jim wrote:
wrote in message
gotta rave about my new ssd. For anyone who's um'ing and ar'ing about
whether to go for an ssd I would say go for it. I've just fitted a new
Intel
X-25 160Gb drive, bit pricey but the speed increase is noticeable. My win7
pc boots up and shuts down in less than half the time of a normal sata
drive
and programs load really quick. Everything is faster with an ssd resulting
whole new computing experience.

Is there a limit for the number of read write operations for your solid
state drive? .. That is/was the case for USB pen drives, which I believe is
the same technology.

There is a theoretical limit but it is _very_ high. The manufacturer sets
aside a section of the NAND flash memory as spare capacity (different
manufacturers and different controllers and different firmware set the
amount) and the controller keeps track of main memory blocks which seems to
be going bad and swaps them out in the background. The controller also
'levels' the read/write usage of the blocks so that all areas get
more-or-less the same wear. Controllers and memory seem to be refined
enough now that makers no longer warn against putting the OS swap file on
an SSD
Old November 25th 10, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

tg wrote:
gotta rave about my new ssd. For anyone who's um'ing and ar'ing about
whether to go for an ssd I would say go for it. I've just fitted a
new Intel X-25 160Gb drive, bit pricey but the speed increase is
noticeable. My win7 pc boots up and shuts down in less than half the
time of a normal sata drive

You can do a lot better than that by hibernating instead of shutting down or suspend to ram in spades.

For nothing.

and programs load really quick.

They load even quicker if you dont stop them when you stop using them.

Everything is faster with an ssd resulting a whole new computing experience.

Which can get much more cheaply in other ways.

Old November 25th 10, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
tg

Everything is faster with an ssd resulting a whole new computing
experience.

Which can get much more cheaply in other ways.

like what? a faster processor? I got a quad core amd phenom II, not sure I
can currently get much faster than that.
like lots of ram? already got 8Gb
no this ssd made a real difference - I can't think of any other mod that
could have created the same effect. Unless you know of one...
Old November 25th 10, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
cjt

On 11/25/2010 7:40 AM, tg wrote:
gotta rave about my new ssd. For anyone who's um'ing and ar'ing about
whether to go for an ssd I would say go for it. I've just fitted a new
Intel
X-25 160Gb drive, bit pricey but the speed increase is noticeable. My win7
pc boots up and shuts down in less than half the time of a normal sata
drive
and programs load really quick. Everything is faster with an ssd
resulting a
whole new computing experience.

I tried one. I didn't think it was worth the price. Maybe in a few
more years I'll try again.

Very little of what I do is constrained by disk drives, anyway. Most
things here are stored on a RAID array that will handle multiple
video streams without breaking a sweat, and most of the system stays up
for months at a time.

Old November 26th 10, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

tg wrote:

Everything is faster with an ssd resulting a whole new computing experience.

Which can get much more cheaply in other ways.

like what?

I already told you in the quoting you carefully deleted, stupid.

a faster processor? I got a quad core amd phenom II, not sure I can currently get much faster than that.
like lots of ram? already got 8Gb

no this ssd made a real difference - I can't think of any other mod
that could have created the same effect. Unless you know of one...

I already told you about two. You just deleted them from the quoting.

Old November 26th 10, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
tg

I tried one. I didn't think it was worth the price. Maybe in a few
more years I'll try again.

Very little of what I do is constrained by disk drives, anyway. Most
things here are stored on a RAID array that will handle multiple
video streams without breaking a sweat, and most of the system stays up
for months at a time.

it's true some ssd's aren't worth the money, you have to get the right
one(s). I think there are only two ssd's on the market at the mo that are
actually worth buying, the rest aren't. The intel x-25 is one those two and
I would recommend it to anyone. The reason I got the intel x-25 is because I
exchanged emails with two people that raved about it. ssd's are the future
without any doubt.

Old November 26th 10, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Roy[_5_]

On Nov 27, 2:21*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
tg wrote:
I tried one. *I didn't think it was worth the price. *Maybe in a few
more years I'll try again.

Very little of what I do is constrained by disk drives, anyway. *Most
things here are stored on a RAID array that will handle multiple
video streams without breaking a sweat, and most of the system stays
up for months at a time.

it's true some ssd's aren't worth the money, you have to get the right
one(s). I think there are only two ssd's on the market at the mo that
are actually worth buying, the rest aren't. The intel x-25 is one
those two and I would recommend it to anyone. The reason I got the
intel x-25 is because I exchanged emails with two people that raved
about it.
ssd's are the future without any doubt.

Fantasy.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm this is interesting....May I ask what makes ssd an object of
fantasy? or you are implying something else?

SSD or no SSD (Solid State Drive)? x64 or x32? RayLopez99 Homebuilt PC's 1 June 18th 10 12:46 PM
Booting from SSD ElJerid[_3_] General 11 February 14th 10 12:15 AM
SSD and SATA150 [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 0 October 5th 08 09:19 PM
SSD's Faeandar Storage & Hardrives 5 May 10th 04 04:04 PM