harddisk clicks, not recognized by BIOS

Old June 8th 04, 11:08 AM

Default harddisk clicks, not recognized by BIOS

Hello everybody,

I've got a problem with a harddisk. It's a 20 GB Seagate harddisk.
After a mega computer crash (power supply defect), it didn't work
again.

It won't be recognized by the BIOS during the startup proces and you
hear a regular click everytime.
There is some data on it which I would recover if possible.

I tried several recovery software (also Seagate software), but because
the harddisk isn't being recognized by all of these programs, I can't
recover anything.

The next step was to open the harddisk and when I turned it on I saw
that the arm with the heads didn't go all over the platters, but
stayed at the inside of the platters (near the center), then it moved
a little bit to the outside and then go directly back to the inside.
This gives that clicking sound.

It looks like the arm stuck. Can it have anything to do with automatic
head parking?

Does anyone from you have another idea to make this disk work again?

Thanks in advance, Jeroen
Old June 8th 04, 12:43 PM
Chris Stolworthy

wrote in message
[...]

Well first off, unless you opened it in a cleanroom you probably caused more
harm than anything. Once a HDD clicks it is typically dead. There are
places out there that say they can "switch platters" or some such. I have
found all of them to be pretty much, a waste of time. So I would personally
say that no...no way to retrieve data at this point.

Old June 8th 04, 01:11 PM
Markus

wrote in message
[...]

As mentioned before it is unlikely you will be able to retrieve any data
from this drive, one thing i can suggest for you is to put the drive aside
untill you get hold of another system (whether it be a friends computer or
new) and try and run it as a secondary there, its unlikely that this will
help at all but i have had some interesting experiences with certain
hardware, unexplainable experiences, so i dont usually rule anything out!
Good L

Old June 8th 04, 05:24 PM
Colin

As a last resort you could try freezing it !!!

Colin

Old June 8th 04, 07:49 PM
philo

wrote in message
[...]

Ok...you need not worry about the comments that a drive must be opened
in a clean room. the drive is already defective so that will hardly matter
at this point.

if you *gently* wiggle the arm a bit you *might* be able to free it up
long enough to get it moving again and retrieve your data. i have tried that
trick
quite a few times and though it probably won;t work...i did get it working
on one occassion... the drive actually continued working for several
days after that.

Old June 8th 04, 09:11 PM

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:49:32 -0500, "philo" wrote:

Ok...you need not worry about the comments that a drive must be opened
in a clean room. the drive is already defective so that will hardly matter
at this point.

if you *gently* wiggle the arm a bit you *might* be able to free it up
long enough to get it moving again and retrieve your data. i have tried that
trick
quite a few times and though it probably won;t work...i did get it working
on one occassion... the drive actually continued working for several
days after that.

Thank you all for your reactions. I already tried the freezer trick,
but that didn't work.
When I wiggle the arm when the drive isn't on, it looks like the heads
stick to the surface of the platters, but when I put the drive on and
the platters are turning round, then I can move the arm and the head
much easier. Is this normal? (still the same problem eventhough).

Rescueing the data from this disk isn't very important, but now I'm
this far, I found it a challenge to make this drive working again, so
other suggestions?
Or is there a piece of software that can "see" defective harddisks
that the BIOS isn't able to see?

Jeroen
Old June 8th 04, 10:09 PM
philo

[...]

well if the drive is physically defective to the point that the bios won't
detect it
there is not a heck of a lot you can do

you could try slaving it to another drive and try to read the data...
but it's not very likely you'll see anything

P4P800 acting flakey bios checksum failure Stacey General 6 March 7th 04 04:35 PM
Downgrading the BIOS of my p4p800-vm...possible? KILOWATT General 3 January 2nd 04 08:37 PM
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem Ante Lazarusic General 4 October 23rd 03 02:22 PM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM