680 mb

Old October 7th 03, 08:36 AM
Cledith SHJ Girard a.k.a. \*\

Default 680 mb

I have just received a pentium 233mhz MMX cpu that I want to replace the
pentium 166mhz MMX cpu with.

I need to know what jumpers I need to change.

I checked the pb.uk sight, but it only gives for a 200mhz cpu ,max.

Old October 7th 03, 11:13 AM
Elector

"Cledith SHJ Girard a.k.a. "*"" wrote in message
news
I have just received a pentium 233mhz MMX cpu that I want to

replace the
pentium 166mhz MMX cpu with.

I need to know what jumpers I need to change.

I checked the pb.uk sight, but it only gives for a 200mhz cpu

,max.

Skydevil:

From Rays Packard Bell Site:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...680.html#Click

J1F2C (1-2 & 5-6) J1F2D (Remove both pins and save for future use)

The link above will tell you much more than you'll ever need to know.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Old October 7th 03, 07:29 PM
Anthony

"Cledith SHJ Girard a.k.a. "*"" wrote in message
news
I have just received a pentium 233mhz MMX cpu that I want to replace

the
pentium 166mhz MMX cpu with.

I need to know what jumpers I need to change.

I checked the pb.uk sight, but it only gives for a 200mhz cpu ,max.

In addition to Elector's comments....

I had a 685MOBO (Orlando MMX)with a 233MHz MMX processor in it. The 233 you
have should wok if you change the jumpers per Elector's/Ray's website
instructions.

I do belive the UK site is wrong if this is the site you were refering
too....
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/pbidx.htm

Regards,
Anthony

Old October 7th 03, 11:23 PM
Bill

HI--

OK,

This is not a problem. Some 68X series motherboards are incapable
of achieving 233 mhz so you just have to try it. I have only worked
with two of the 68X boards that were not capable of 233 mhz. so I know
that they are out there.
Yes, you do need to change the jumper settings. The jumpers are
located at J1F2-C and J1F2-D
You have the Orlando series motherboard It came in several
different versions,the 680, the 682,the 683, the 684 and the 685.
Depending on the particular model that you have you may or may not
have any or all of the following. In addition to the basic regular
production model which has the VGA port, Mouse port, Keyboard port,
and Printer port, it may have as optional, 2 USB PORTS, AN RCA PORT,
AN S-VIDEO PORT, 2 MEGS OF Video memory (Instead of the standard
production one meg of video memory) AND THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR (This
can be identified as a chrome metal heat sink which stands up from the
motherboard to the left of the processor socket). Looking at the
motherboard from the rear ports edge, it is to the left of the
processor.

Set the jumpers on the motherboard, located at J1F2-C to 1-2 AND
5-6
AT JIF2-D (Just remove these and save them for future use)I just put
them over pin 3 and nothing and pin 5 and nothing as a practice.

That should do it.I hope that this was a bit of a help then. By
the way, the BIOS Flash String DNOR.12, available at the Priority One
site, works well. I have used it several times without incident. I
believe though that you will not need it, as for 233 mhz MMX to be
recognized, the board must have the BIOS DNOR.09 or higher. Your
board, you mentioned, at the PB UK site has DNOR.11....so you should
be fine then.

Best Regards--

BILL
Old October 8th 03, 05:29 AM
mdp

If you're running a 166MMX then you already have a) the FSB running at 66MHz
and b) a voltage regulator (unless of course someone tampered with the
system by installing an MMX CPU without ensuring the board had proper
voltage regulation). So all you need to do is set the multiplier jumpers,
the FSB is where it should be.

According to this web site below and my own experience Intel designed the
233MMX to interpret a multipler setting of 1.5x as 3.5x. This allowed much
of the installed base to use the new (at the time) Pentium 233MMX CPUs since
MB jumper settings only went to 3.0x (like your PB680). Your FSB is already
running at 66MHz (leave J1F2-C as is) so by setting your multiplier (also
called CPU Clock Ratio) jumpers for 1.5x (J1F2-D setting is 1-2, 4-5), the
CPU will operate at 66 x 3.5 = 233MHz.

If the jumper settings from the other posters also work (i.e. remove the
jumpers), I suspect having the jumpers removed is the equivalent of the 1.5x
jumper settings.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cpu/fam/g5P55-c.html

mdp