Asus A7PRO (rev. 1.02) Bios update problem

Old July 23rd 03, 10:39 PM
Jmax

Default Asus A7PRO (rev. 1.02) Bios update problem

Hi.

I'm trying to flash the bios of my A7pro rev. 1.02.

The actual version is the 1005D.

I downloaded the latest version and tried to upgrade the bios. There
is no problem during the erasing, no problem during the writing, but I
have an error during the comparision at adress 3C000.

So I flash back to version 1005D. Without any problem.

I tried the dos and the windows programs. Asusupdate shows that the
comparision locks at 93%.

I noticed that when I Flash the 1005D version, the writing stops at
adress "3B000". When I try all other versions, the writing stops at
adress "3F000".

I don't know what to do... Can I reboot without any problem ?
According to me, the flash isn't correct and I won't be able to
reboot.

How can I "force" the writing from adress "3B000" to "3F000" ?

What can I do ?

According to Asus Technical support dpt, the BIOS ship might be
damaged and I have to send them my MB so that they can check the it...

Have you ever heard about something like this ? How can I check the
chip by myself ? How can the computer boot with a damaged bios chip ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Jmax
Old July 23rd 03, 11:11 PM
Egil Solberg

"Jmax" wrote in message
om...
Hi.

I'm trying to flash the bios of my A7pro rev. 1.02.

The actual version is the 1005D.

Which version are you trying to flash? Some of these?

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO...o_KT133/A7Pro/

I don't know what to do... Can I reboot without any problem ?
According to me, the flash isn't correct and I won't be able to
reboot.

You told us that you managed to successfully flash back to the original
BIOS, then it should be allright.

According to Asus Technical support dpt, the BIOS ship might be
damaged and I have to send them my MB so that they can check the it...

Have you ever heard about something like this ? How can I check the
chip by myself ? How can the computer boot with a damaged bios chip ?

When a BIOS chip goes bad, some or more of the memory adresses cannot be
changed anymore.
In such a situation one must use a BIOS-file which is coherent with the chip
defects, ie 0 and 1s on the right places, for all purposes, this is your
original BIOS file. Still room for unpleasant surprises, I must add.

I´ve seen a PcChips mobo with a bad BIOS chip. They had been trying to flash
it, bud got stuck with unbootable machine. Knowing this board had AMIBIOS, I
formatted a diskette and put a BIOS image file named amiboot.rom (your board
does not have AMIBIOS, I think) and emergency-booted on this. Flash did not
catch. Tried a lot of different BIOS-files. At last, I must have found the
original one (those guys could of course not tell me which beforehand). Then
the BIOS data made sense and the board booted just fine.

Your problem could also be caused by using wrong flasher, you could try the
version of aflash that came with your board.