Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

Old May 9th 11, 10:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RnR[_2_]

Default Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

On Sun, 8 May 2011 18:55:50 -0700 (PDT), Abi Normal
wrote:

On May 8, 7:15*pm, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Abi Normal wrote:
BillW Spewed forth

And a simple Google search will show "zillions" of other people who
don't buy that neither company has such great software either.

Very factual, thanks! So you advocate integrated graphics only?

No... I have computers that has either or. And when integrated graphics
doesn't cut it, I use dedicated graphics. But to be frank, most computer
tasks works just fine with integrated graphics.

While I don't have any of these, there are hybrid computers that has
both. And I find this very interesting. And when graphic demands becomes
too great for integrated graphics they switch to dedicated graphics.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Sir, you definitely are in need of writing help! Please check this
out.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/six-...d-verbs-agree/

Abi

I need help too at times (even tho English is my native tongue). Good
link, thank you!!
Old May 9th 11, 02:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In
,
Abi Normal wrote:
On May 8, 7:15 pm, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Abi Normal wrote:
[...]

Better?

~~~~~~~~~~

No... I have computers that have either or. And when integrated graphics
doesn't cut it, I use dedicated graphics. But to be frank, most computer
tasks work just fine with integrated graphics.

While I don't have any of these, there are hybrid computers that have
both. And I find this very interesting. And when graphic demands become
too great for integrated graphics they switch to dedicated graphics.

~~~~~~~~~~

I have an apparently disability (or if you like an ability) to use my
left and right brain(s) separately. Which has both disadvantages and
advantages. One of the disadvantages is proper grammar communication
suffers, while complex logic ability is enhanced.

Remember, both Edison and Einstein was both Dyslexic. Einstein was
kicked out of the German school system and was told he was too stupid to
do anything besides going to a trade school.

Here is a list of other famous people:

http://www.dyslexia-test.com/famous.html

Even Mark Twain made the list here.
http://www.dyslexia.tv/snapshots/

Probably what prompted Twain to say this:
"I have no respect for a man who can only spell a word one way!"

Dyslexia... 'Multi-dimensional FreeThinkers'.
We are proud to think and learn differently. ;-)

Old May 9th 11, 02:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 9 May 2011 08:19:15 -0500, "BillW50" wrote:

In
,
Abi Normal wrote:
On May 8, 7:15 pm, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Abi Normal wrote:
[...]

Bill, at least you have an excuse. I'm just plain stupid at times (no
excuse just born that way) .... thank god for my better half.
Old May 9th 11, 02:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ben Myers[_4_]

On May 8, 1:11*pm, "BillW50" wrote:
,
Abi Normal typed:

On May 8, 10:39 am, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Paul wrote:
... ATI and Nvidia cards usually have the best feature support
(stuff just works).

Huh? Which galaxy does this happen in? As here, ATI and Nvidia has an
extremely high failure rate. And I avoid either of them for my
general
purpose computers. Only on my dedicated game PCs use them.

And didn't Nvidia already fork out $200 million in a class action
lawsuit? They didn't pay this because their stuff just works. But
rather
because they don't work.

Nvidia settles bumpgate class action
lawsuithttp://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1736698/nvidia-settles-bumpg...

Lawsuit claims Nvidia hid serious flaw in graphics
chipshttp://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/lawsuit-claims-nvidia-hid...

I believe he was referring to software that works and not hardware.
Please try to follow along! {B^)}

What good is the software when the hardware doesn't work? So perhaps you
should try to follow along. Plus many say that ATI and Nvidia software
isn't so hot anyway.

"Remember when the first Radeon came out. They (ATI) were found to have
cheated and tweaked their drivers to do extremely well on benchmarks,
but in reality, sucked at other real world applications?"

Why I think ATI sucks and won't buy their hardware if I can avoid ithttp://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-displays/34498-why-i-thin...

And a simple Google search will show zillions of other people who don't
buy that neither company has such great software either.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2

Actually, the ATI benchmark cheats were pre-Radeon, back in '94 or
'95. I know well, because I was the author of the version of the PC
Magazine benchmark that was cheated upon with special code added to
drivers to look for repetitive sequences of primitive operations,
still the best way to measure raw horsepower of hardware plus close to
the metal drivers. (Actually, benchmarks written to the bare iron are
still truly the best, but writing software to talk directly to a
graphics chip has become a black art, and ever so much more
complicated given the computing power on the graphics chips
themselves.) PC Magazine, rather than exposing the cheaters in
public, simply redesigned the graphics benchmarks. It's not the first
time, nor is it the last time, that a hardware company, usually
graphics, has done something to the hardware or software to make their
product look better than it really is. Overclocked graphics cards are
very common, leading to burnout or malfunction of graphics chips run
beyond specification. Back before the day of the ATI cheats, graphics
cards manufacturers would put different fixed frequency oscillators on
cards, to drive graphics chips beyond spec. Now it is even easier to
tweak card performance with the variable oscillator circuitry on a
card. You can get software for free to overclock your nVidia or ATI
graphics card.

Honestly, the two-horse graphics race between AMD/ATI and nVidia is
now a pretty awful one to watch. Both seem to have regular disasters,
but there are no other alternatives any more, except for integrated
graphics. I'd like to hear one of their marketing shills spell the
work R-E-L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y... Ben Myers
Old May 9th 11, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ben Myers[_4_]

On May 7, 4:15*pm, Russell May wrote:
My 2002-vintage computer has a recently-installed CPU and LCD display.
The computer locks up with the display pivoted 90 degrees via
irotate.exe while playing AVI files using Nero ShowTime, producing a
medium-high-pitched sound. The lockup seems to happen only when the
display is pivoted. Nero ShowTime is the only program I have which
will show AVI movies while the display is pivoted.

The last time this happened, CPU temperature was 43 degrees C and CPU
utilization was about 30 percent.

I reset the computer to recover from these lockups, only to find that
CPU hyper-threading is disabled until I restart Windows, which runs
very slowly, and then restart the computer and Windows again.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to stop this lockup while the
display is pivoted?

System description
Windows 32-bit XP SP3, Nero 6.6 including ShowTime 2.0.1.9,
irotate.exe 1.37, Microsoft Security Essentials, 2010 Tune-up
Utilities. Dell 2700FP LCD monitor A02, 1600x1200 pixels (pivoted to
1200x1600), 32-bit color, DVI cable. Gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard
(533MHz FSB), 1.5GB PC-2700 ECC memory. 3.06GHz Pentium 4 CPU
(Northwood with hyper-threading). Radeon 9000 AGP-4X video board.
Samsung 200GB and 250GB IDE internal drives, Samsung 1.5TB eSATA
external drive, SiI 3512 eSATA controller board, 6Mbps DSL via 2-Wire
AT&T 2701HG-B gateway.

Have you given any thought to using a different piece of software to
play the AVI files? Not the Nero one? There are plenty of AVI
players around, many of them free and functional... Ben Myers
Old May 9th 11, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Abi Normal

On May 9, 8:19*am, "BillW50" wrote:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/six-...bjects-and-ver...

Better?

So you are a genius with a disability, then? So far I don't see it.
Thanks for the lecture, I will not say anything about the grammar
flukes in the future.
Old May 9th 11, 03:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Abi Normal

On May 9, 9:18*am, Abi Normal wrote:
On May 9, 8:19*am, "BillW50" wrote:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/six-...bjects-and-ver....

Better?

So you are a genius with a disability, then? So far I don't see it.
Thanks for the lecture, I will not say anything about the grammar
flukes in the future.

It's also difficult to speculate whether these people were
accomplished because of their disability, or in spite of it.
People with other types of handicaps were also great achievers.
Old May 9th 11, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In ,
RnR wrote:
Bill, at least you have an excuse. I'm just plain stupid at times (no
excuse just born that way) .... thank god for my better half.

Well I am at least impressed by what you say. ;-)

Old May 9th 11, 09:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In
,
Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

All very interesting Ben and informative. Thanks!

Old May 9th 11, 10:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In
,
On May 9, 8:19 am, "BillW50" wrote:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/six-...bjects-and-ver...

Better?

So you are a genius with a disability, then?

Some tried to tell me that. But I don't see it since some simple tasks
are very difficult. And for me, it is grammar. And I used to stutter
until my late teens. Oddly enough it seemed to stop after my first beer.
Surely just a coincidence, right? LOL

So far I don't see it. Thanks for the lecture, I will not say
anything about the grammar flukes in the future.

No that is okay. I am used to it and it isn't any big deal. ;-)

It's also difficult to speculate whether these people were
accomplished because of their disability, or in spite of it.
People with other types of handicaps were also great achievers.

Well from my perspective, it is very easy to identify with. As *some*
simple tasks are difficult and *some* supposedly hard tasks are simple.
So it makes sense that they would excel in areas that they find very
easy to understand. Although they still have to struggle with some
supposedly easy tasks. :-(