No sound

Old January 7th 09, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default No sound

I've been almost a month without sound on my computer. It started in
December when I moved my computer and installed a second CD-Rom drive.
Up to this point everything was working perfectly. I have Windows XP
SP2. My soundcard is a SoundBlaster Live! card. I got some help from
a tech support site last month, and we tried pretty much everything
before finally coming to the conclusion that the card was bad. I've
since purchased a brand new (NOS) SoundBlaster Live! audio card which
I installed over the weekend. I still can't get any sound from my
computer! I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the latest
driver AND patch several times to no avail. I've also tried moving
the
card to a different slot, but nothing seems to be working. What's
more, when I activate my onboard audio through bios IT isn't producing
any sound either (my mobo is a Gigabyte M61P-S3). I've gone to "Device
Manager" and checked the
"properties" for my hardware and drivers and it says that everything
is working properly. Here's the message that pops up when I enable or
disable my Soundblaster card:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...g?t=1231193031
I'm at my wits end. What else could be causing my computer to not have
any sound?
Bryan
Old January 7th 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

wrote:
[...]

"windows could not load the installer for MEDIA"

I tried a few searches, without finding a definitive root cause.
I see references to Windows Installer, and also to "driver signing".
Most people who have "fixed" this, did something major like a
repair install or adding a Service Pack they haven't already installed.
I wasn't able to find a fix that involved something more minor.

The real question would be, what broke in the first place. It
sounds like something would have to be corrupted for that
to happen. A second question would be, if one driver is
affected (for sound), why aren't other drivers affected ?
In all the search results I looked at, nobody got into
such a mess that the computer would not boot or the
screen not render. Which suggests that whatever software
path is being used, doesn't affect all drivers, but only
the user installed (optional) ones. Perhaps it is a Windows
Installer issue. Does every driver rely on Windows Installer ? I
thought it might handle cases where there is a .msi
file in the package.

I couldn't find a real answer, and repair installing is
a pretty extreme solution, if it would work at all.

I expect doing a System Restore to a date before the problem
showed up, might fix it, but that would also reverse a lot
of stuff you've done since then (like having to
reinstall some Windows Update stuff again, reinstall
any programs added in the last month and so on). And
that relies on a System Restore point still being
available that far back.

Paul