7800GT SLI, or 7900GT Plus CPU Upgrade?

Old July 15th 06, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SumGuy

Default 7800GT SLI, or 7900GT Plus CPU Upgrade?

I've been out of the videocard loop since December, 2005 when I
purchased my eVGA 7800GT card to replace the single eVGA 6600GT in my
system. I wthought I would hit Ebay to pick up a second eVGA 7800GT for
an SLI setup. When I saw the price of a new eVGA 7900GT KO is slightly
more than a used eVGA 7800GT, I began to wonder if I would be better
served taking this path:

1. Purchase new eVGA 7900GT KO
2. Sell eVGA 7800GT on Ebay
3. Wait for the AMD price drop and replace my overclocked AMD 64 3000
with an AMD X2 3800
4. Move to SLI at a later time

Any thoughts?
Old July 15th 06, 12:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Biff

you have a fine card with a 7800gt, you wont see a any improvement in games
over your overclocked 3000+ with an x2 3800,I did the same thing, fine if
you want a smoother multitasking experience, but does naff all for games.
Why not just get an aftermarket cooler for your7800+ and try and get to it
GTX clockrates which is roughtly the same as a 7900GT in normal use. I've
got a 7800GTX and I'm just going to get a second when the prices come down
so I can get 7900GTX fill rates.

that will do me till DX10/Vista, though to be honest since I got an XBox
360 I'm not as keen on dropping £400+ on videocards anymore, as the things
that can do for £200 is nothing short of amazing