MA790X-DS4 mobo and Gigabyte GT-PTV-AF-RH tv tuner = crash? :(

Old January 1st 09, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
spoon

Default MA790X-DS4 mobo and Gigabyte GT-PTV-AF-RH tv tuner = crash? :(

Hi. I had an old computer on some Epox mobo and athlon xp with this TV
Card from gigabyte model GT-PTV-AF-RH and it was working very well. I
bought new computer and it is now mobo Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 + Amd X2 6000
+ 2Gb A-data 800Mhz memory + GF9600GT and of course this TV card
Gigabyte GT-PTV-AF-RH. And it dont work. It installs normally, i launch
included Power Cinema and starting to SCAN for channels and it goes all
off black *poof* and my computer restarts. Is it possible that this mobo
and this tv card have some conflict? I tried lastest drivers for mobo,
lastest bios, default mobo settings, just everything i could setup.
Maybe you know something what can help? Gigabyte support says they can't
help me. Looking for replies! Thanks.
Old January 2nd 09, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

"spoon" wrote in message
Hi. I had an old computer on some Epox mobo and athlon xp with this TV
Card from gigabyte model GT-PTV-AF-RH and it was working very well. I
bought new computer and it is now mobo Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 + Amd X2 6000
+ 2Gb A-data 800Mhz memory + GF9600GT and of course this TV card
Gigabyte GT-PTV-AF-RH. And it dont work. It installs normally, i launch
included Power Cinema and starting to SCAN for channels and it goes all
off black *poof* and my computer restarts. Is it possible that this mobo
and this tv card have some conflict? I tried lastest drivers for mobo,
lastest bios, default mobo settings, just everything i could setup.
Maybe you know something what can help? Gigabyte support says they can't
help me. Looking for replies! Thanks.

RT click My Computer (or Computer) click manage, expand componants, open
problem devices. this might give you a clue. also open hardware, conflicts
and sharing. also look in problem devices ;-) HTH

Pokeyman

Old January 2nd 09, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
spoon

pokey man pisze:
RT click My Computer (or Computer) click manage, expand componants, open
problem devices. this might give you a clue. also open hardware, conflicts
and sharing. also look in problem devices ;-) HTH

hmm, i don't see any "problem devices" or "conflicts and sharing". I
have polish language but still can't see similar to this. it looks that way:
http://wstaw.org/images/free/2009/01...7b8ab9000.jpeg

Anyway: today happened something weird: i was able to scan all channels
and watch TV but *only for about five minutes* and then my computer just
turned off, like unpluging power cord and... i wasn't able to turn it on
again! i had to unplug cord, wait for few seconds, then plugged power
cord to computer and it started. I really don't know what to do
Old January 3rd 09, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

"spoon" wrote in message
pokey man pisze:
RT click My Computer (or Computer) click manage, expand componants, open
problem devices. this might give you a clue. also open hardware,

conflicts
and sharing. also look in problem devices ;-) HTH

hmm, i don't see any "problem devices" or "conflicts and sharing". I
have polish language but still can't see similar to this. it looks that

way:

http://wstaw.org/images/free/2009/01...7b8ab9000.jpeg

Anyway: today happened something weird: i was able to scan all channels
and watch TV but *only for about five minutes* and then my computer just
turned off, like unpluging power cord and... i wasn't able to turn it on
again! i had to unplug cord, wait for few seconds, then plugged power
cord to computer and it started. I really don't know what to do

how old is this card? i would pull the card and examine the tops of the
capicitors and other componants on the card. might be drawing too much
power? check voltages in bios for bad PS should be within 5% of stated
voltages (i perfer 2%)

HTH

Pokeyman

Old January 3rd 09, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

"spoon" wrote in message
pokey man pisze:
RT click My Computer (or Computer) click manage, expand componants, open
problem devices. this might give you a clue. also open hardware,

conflicts
and sharing. also look in problem devices ;-) HTH

hmm, i don't see any "problem devices" or "conflicts and sharing". I
have polish language but still can't see similar to this. it looks that

way:

http://wstaw.org/images/free/2009/01...7b8ab9000.jpeg

Anyway: today happened something weird: i was able to scan all channels
and watch TV but *only for about five minutes* and then my computer just
turned off, like unpluging power cord and... i wasn't able to turn it on
again! i had to unplug cord, wait for few seconds, then plugged power
cord to computer and it started. I really don't know what to do

I just realized that it is a brand new MoBo.... hmmmm did you get a new
powersupply??? if you used the old one, then that is your problem! a PS
tha ran the old techonolgy is underpowering all the lovely new, higher power
usage componets and poof... shuts down when you use the card.

Pokeyman

Old January 3rd 09, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
spoon

pokey man pisze:
I just realized that it is a brand new MoBo.... hmmmm did you get a new
powersupply??? if you used the old one, then that is your problem! a PS
tha ran the old techonolgy is underpowering all the lovely new, higher power
usage componets and poof... shuts down when you use the card.

I have Tagan 2 Force 400Watt, and i don't have problems with power even
playing newest games on hight quality settings, so how it can be the
small pci tv card can take too much power?
Old January 3rd 09, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

spoon wrote:
pokey man pisze:
I just realized that it is a brand new MoBo.... hmmmm did you get a new
powersupply??? if you used the old one, then that is your problem! a PS
tha ran the old techonolgy is underpowering all the lovely new, higher
power
usage componets and poof... shuts down when you use the card.

I have Tagan 2 Force 400Watt, and i don't have problems with power even
playing newest games on hight quality settings, so how it can be the
small pci tv card can take too much power?

Is the MA790X-DS4 stable, if the TV card is plugged into a PCI slot,
but is not used by the software ? Does the computer run for hours
without a problem ?

Possible problems -

1) PCI bus problem caused whenever blocks of data are DMA
transferred by the TV card. In past years, TV tuner cards
were considered a stability test for PCI. On some computers,
if you watch TV for an hour, the computer freezes, and sometimes
this is due to PCI bus arbitration operating incorrectly, or
the operation of the processor being upset. On other
computers, a freeze or crash would be instant, on the
first usage (very first frame of TV data).

2) The weakest power rail in a computer, is the +5VSB. A standby voltage
may be derived from that, and fed to the PCI slots. A network interface
card, for example, would draw a small amount of power via that path,
in order to support Wake On LAN. If the TV card connected to that
power source for some reason, that might be a reason for the
instability. Overloading that rail might cause the computer to
reboot, depending on how the thing is designed.

3) I don't see a reason to suspect other rails on the power supply, due to
your observation that you can play 3D games and the computer is
stable. Watching TV shouldn't draw as much power as gaming would.
So there must be a stability issue elsewhere.

Try changing the PCI slot the tuner is plugged into, and note
whether the symptoms change in any way or not.

HTH,
Paul
Old January 3rd 09, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
spoon

Paul pisze:

2) The weakest power rail in a computer, is the +5VSB.

With this advice about 5V i searched my mobo manual once agin and found
option called "PME Event Wake Up" and its something about this 5V line
and PCI and it was enabled (default Disabled) so i disabled it i am
watching TV now for about hour and no restarts but i will test more to
be sure it worked.

Thanks for your help, if problem will still happening i will write
again, if not i will write to say the problem is solved Thanks!

Old January 3rd 09, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

spoon wrote:
Paul pisze:

2) The weakest power rail in a computer, is the +5VSB.

With this advice about 5V i searched my mobo manual once agin and found
option called "PME Event Wake Up" and its something about this 5V line
and PCI and it was enabled (default Disabled) so i disabled it i am
watching TV now for about hour and no restarts but i will test more to
be sure it worked.

Thanks for your help, if problem will still happening i will write
again, if not i will write to say the problem is solved Thanks!

Weird. Almost sounds like the PME line is stuck in a
grounded state or something.

Paul
Old January 4th 09, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
spoon

Paul pisze:
spoon wrote:

With this advice about 5V i searched my mobo manual once agin and
found option called "PME Event Wake Up" and its something about this
5V line and PCI and it was enabled (default Disabled) so i disabled it
i am watching TV now for about hour and no restarts but i will test
more to be sure it worked.

Thanks for your help, if problem will still happening i will write
again, if not i will write to say the problem is solved Thanks!

Weird. Almost sounds like the PME line is stuck in a
grounded state or something.

aRghh.. i knew it wont work for long, it still restarts :/ It takes few
minuter to more than hour sometimes but anyway it will restart. I ran
out of ideas... i think its time to sell it on ebay and buy another.

a problem with gigabyte MA790X-DS4 MB [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 6 October 1st 08 04:30 AM
GA-MA790X-DS4 Question Murray McNeill[_2_] Gigabyte Motherboards 0 May 14th 08 04:20 PM
V-Tuner 2 and new Gigabyte X800 XT GLeger Ati Videocards 0 October 26th 04 11:46 PM
gigabyte v-tuner Robert Ati Videocards 2 July 31st 04 10:25 AM
Gigabyte Radeon 9200 V-tuner [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 January 26th 04 06:12 AM