Chipsink fan died - help?

Old September 18th 05, 11:46 AM
Richard Dower

Default Chipsink fan died - help?

Bloody hell...i cracked open my case last night while the power was on to
check if all my fans were running ok. Turns out the chipsink heatsink/fan on
my GA-K8NXP-9 is not moving!

It's just dead....is there anyway i can get another one from Gigabyte or
recomend another solution?

Old September 18th 05, 07:03 PM
Lucas Tam

"Richard Dower" wrote in
:

Bloody hell...i cracked open my case last night while the power was on
to check if all my fans were running ok. Turns out the chipsink
heatsink/fan on my GA-K8NXP-9 is not moving!

It's just dead....is there anyway i can get another one from Gigabyte
or recomend another solution?

I find the chipset fan is usually the first to go. I would get a fanless
chipset heatsink. 1 less fan to worry about.

--
Lucas Tam )

Newmarket Volvo Sucks! http://newmarketvolvo.tripod.com
Old September 18th 05, 07:33 PM
Davy

I had a similar problem with the 'Northbridge' fan, at first I kept
stripping it down and applying a tiny amount of engine oil, this
cured the problem for a very short while maybe a month or so.

In the end I got fed up and got on to Gigabyte who put me on to the UK
dealer, told them the problem and they sent not one but three brand
new fans...!

If you have problems try Googling, GBT Tech Co LTD UK, dunno how long
mine had stopped, I use the GA-7VAXP mobo with the KT400 chipset.

If this is the case, there is another alternative and that is to
remove the fan and heatsink and replace with one of them tall solid
'silent' heatsinks, just can't recall the brands but they do away
with the fan, I can't comment on their performance.

If you do this it may be beneficial to clean any old heatsink paste
from the chip and re-apply new paste, this will aid thermal
transfer.

I don't think you meant the CPU fan, if this failed the CPU would not
last long, if this is the case then it would be better to sort the
problem before using the computer.

Remember when making any adjustments remove the power cord, although
you have low voltages on the supply lines you have a 3 volt line that
supplies about 20 Amps of current which can melt a screwdriver into
two quite easily.

Davy

Old September 19th 05, 04:41 PM
Lucas Tam

"Falco" wrote in news:C5zXe.2793$4f3.2345@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

I always take my Northbridge fan off, have struck any problems yet.

Have you touched the Northbridge... it's usually VERY hot.

It's best to upgrade your heatsink to a fanless one if you don't want to
use a fan.

Old October 10th 05, 12:39 AM
Davy

Falco"]I always take my Northbridge fan off, have struck any
problems yet.I always take my Northbridge fan off, have struck any
problems yet.[/quote:8a2accb3e6]

I wouldn't run it without any cooler, the heat will build up and MAY
char the board and the fine copper tracks will buckle and break if
that happens.

Has previously suggested by Lucas Tam at least get a heatsink, taking
the fan off you will need to use a larger surface area to get the
same cooling affect.

They don't put them on to make the mobo look fancy.

Davy