*** Skybuck's Review of Call of Juarez Gunslinger *** (Score 7 out of 10).

Old June 4th 13, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Default *** Skybuck's Review of Call of Juarez Gunslinger *** (Score 7 out of 10).

Hello,

The last few days I wanted to play a shooter again... I have been playing
lots of Startrek Online and lots of Company of Heroes... so to return to the
shooter genre was interesting

I wanted to blow away as many as son's of bitches I could... and this game
supplied just that... mostly ! =D

The maps/terrains are pretty beautifull even on all low... since I played it
on all low... and it still looked pretty good and played awesomely... at
probably 60 fps... I was kinda surprised by that... a nice turn around of
expectations compared to other shooters, then again there is no reason why a
shooter could not run smooth, little has changed since quake, perhaps some
physics but that's it... it's mostly about graphics... tune that down and it
should run just fine on any pc of the last 7 years or so

Anyway back to the game.

For some reason I feel the game kinda fails in one regard... for some reason
it's too easy too shoot enemies... and I dont know why... maybe the zoom in
of the weapons is too much... or maybe the bullits always hit... there is
very little stray fire...

If you aim at the enemy you will always hit him... and never miss... this
kinda sux... perhaps the weapon/gun should have moved more up and down as
you try to hold it... nobody in the world has perfect steady aim... yet this
game has it... I suspect the developers did this to make the game easy to
play for everybody... or they put no thought in it.

There is also a true western game mode... I havent played it yet... because
it would reset the game... not sure if I could then replay the levels... but
I will probably try... as far as I know "true western mode" just removes the
GUI and not much else but I could be wrong... time will tell.

So far... when it comes to the shooting aspect... this game fails... it's
too easy.

But when it comes to the fun aspect... it's still a lot of fun... and the
story is great, the voices are great, the sound is ok... (I played without a
subwoofer and did miss a bit of bass but overall not to bad... 40 hz to 60
hz is my audio range but ok).

Little spoiler: I enjoyed the mines mostly... that was just awesome...

Also the end is very cool... I will not spoil it for you... but I was
wondering the whole game what does: "Do you believe in ghosts ?" mean

Well you'll find out at the end... I do wonder if the "ghost cave" has
perhaps some easter egg ?!

Anyway the end was very original as far as I am concerned... I have never
really played a true first person shooter with that element in it... and I
kinda like it...

It made me thing of predator and cloacking devices... very hard to see...
most be awesome to go and fade into the background... such an adventage... I
wish I had it

The guns are not enough... not enough diversity... which is kinda a shame...
it also doesn't have the cool effect of exploding guns like the original
had... but the game time/slow motion is still in it... so that cool.

Dynamite is also in it... and (little spoiler) it can split into 3 dynamites
!

Unfortunately as far as I know there is no multiplayer... which is a big
ommision from this game and kinda of a shame... some people might have had
some fun with that.

Overall the end result does feel a bit mediocrate... mostly the programming
is a bit lazy/cheasy.... it's too simple of a game... aim/shoot/hit=always
win.

So I am gonna leave it at that... This game will get a 7 out of 10 from me.
It's definetly good enough to play... but not to rememborable when it comes
to game play...

The story and it's animations are great... couldn't wish for anything
better... it's top notch as far as I am concerned... so that's not the
problem

The music is also pretty original and cool/good... so that's also not the
problem...

And the graphics pretty good as well.

So again... just like aliens colonial marines... this game also has some
indecent programming... it should have been a bit better.

Seems like a bad trend...

Bye,
Skybuck.