Bios

Old September 12th 03, 05:02 PM
pd

Default Bios

I am using GB-8KNXP.
In the bios for boot up, there is NO choice for SCSI.
Under SCSI/RAID Cntlr Boot Order, I have these choices:
1. Promise Mass Storage ControllerSilicon Image RAID Controller
(yes, I installed an Ultra66 card.I use it for my Iomega 100zipdrive)
2.Silicon Image RAID Controller
3.ITE RAID Controller

In the boot up mode, it is configured like this:
First boot device CDROM
Second boot device HDD-0
Third boot device Floppy

Everything seems to work fine, but I was wondering why I do not have a
SCSI boot up choice?

I have an 80 gig WD on IDE 1, CDRW and DVD on IDE 2.

Pentium 2.4
RAM-Kinston 512 - one bank
WIndows XP Home SP1

.....and what software can I use to determine if everything is running as
advertised?

Old September 12th 03, 10:55 PM
Tim

PD,

SCSI is available in your boot device list - "First boot device CDROM" -
have a look around.
If you have persistent problems, consider bios F6 if you are not already
using it.

- Tim

Old September 13th 03, 12:54 AM
Bob Davis

"pd" wrote in message

I am using GB-8KNXP.
In the bios for boot up, there is NO choice for SCSI.

Is your mobo the Ultra variant? If so, or even if not, do you have the
on-board SCSI adapters enabled in the bios or a separate adapter added? My
non-Ultra 8KNXP shows a SCSI option for boot devices because I have an
Adaptec SCSI adapter and four SCSI devices installed, two of which are
bootable.

I suspect that if you have no SCSI adapters seen during POST, it won't show
this boot option. If you have an Ultra and have SCSI disabled in the bios,
or have no SCSI devices attached that are bootable, the boot option may not
appear. I'm just speculating here, y'understand.

Old September 13th 03, 03:48 AM
Tim

SCSI is in the list regardless of having a real SCSI device or not. I think
it is there as a symbolic indication to use the RAID device which under XP
is a SCSI pseudo device. I may be wrong about the reason, but it works and I
am booting off a "SCSI" SATA connected disc that is non RAID with the SATA
configured as RAID. Ironically the Intel ICH5 SATA controller works best
configured like this. Completely illogical if you ask me.

See the post "8knp, How to boot from SATA if PATA present" from 10-Sep-2003
@ 3:54 am.

Why can't they just detect all non raid devices, show a list and let your
point and assign 1, 2, 3, 4 for boot order?

- Tim

Old September 14th 03, 01:35 PM
Bob Davis

"Tim" wrote in message ...

SCSI is in the list regardless of having a real SCSI device or not. I

think
it is there as a symbolic indication to use the RAID device which under XP
is a SCSI pseudo device.

Yes, but all I'm saying is that if you have this on-board device disabled in
the bios and have no other SCSI (or pseudo-SCSI) devices installed/enabled
in the system, it may not show a SCSI option in the boot order.

I may be wrong about the reason, but it works and I
am booting off a "SCSI" SATA connected disc that is non RAID with the SATA
configured as RAID. Ironically the Intel ICH5 SATA controller works best
configured like this. Completely illogical if you ask me.

I'll have to remember this when I eventually install SATA.