Opinions Please: Good Backup System Using SATA Removable HD?

Old January 21st 05, 11:38 PM
Rod Speed

"Louise" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...
Rod Speed wrote:

HDD storage is so cheap nowadays, the best way to back them up is
becoming.....other HDDs

Sure, if you arent prone to dropping things.

I do both - backup to another HD 'cause it's so fast and easy.
Occasional backup to CD when I have the time.

I am also using two different backup programs.

I backup to a usb hard drive every night using Dantz Retrospect.

Every week or so, I use Ghost 9 and image to another external drive.
I started doing this because Dantz Retrospect was flakey, hanging
every so often, and I felt it wasn't adequate as my only backup.

Every month or so, as often as I can tolerate the process, I backup to
DVDs using Ghost 9 and leave those at a friend's house as my external
backup. I also try to backup important data more frequently and leave
it at her house - passworded via a zip file.

In that case I wouldnt keep the backups kept at your place
in the soggy safe unless fire or theft is a significant problem.
Keep them in the book shelves for when the drive dies etc.
And use the presumably less frequent offsites if you are
unlikely enough to have a problem with fire or theft.

I'm trying to decide whether I should make Ghost my
nightly backup and Dantz Retrospect my "every week
or so" backup - I now use Dantz as the primary.

I'd use ghost as the primary myself given
that you have had problems with Dantz.

Am I too paranoid? I'm not sure. I really am trying
to live a more and more paperless life and the data
is becoming more and more essential to my life.

And so even a drive failure can be a major disaster.

No you arent too paranoid.