Multi-boot Windows XP without special software

Old November 19th 03, 05:20 PM
Timothy Daniels

"stacey" continues to troll:

No but you did use "special software".

How one arrives at having 2 operating
systems has nothing to do with being able
to multi-boot them. There are companies
that make and sell software to enable multi-
booting, and my posting mentions two ways
to multi-boot without using any of this 3rd-
party software.

*TimDaniels*
Old November 19th 03, 05:28 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Hank" wrote in message om
Uh huh.

Game over, you lose.

/daytripper ("Next!" ;-)

How about:

Installed WinME on my C drive. (master)

Added the D drive with no OS (initially).

Booted from the XP Home CD and installed it on my D drive. (slave)

Rebooted, and I get the OS Boot option screen.

Went into XP and setup OS boot priority and wait time.

Been working since day one, no special anything.

Yes, but that doesn't get you any cheers from the braindead in a newsgroup.
Old November 19th 03, 07:41 PM
David Chien

Anyways, if you get bored, try XOSL, the free multi-boot manager that'll
handle truck loads of OSs on a single HD w/o a problem:

www.xosl.org

Old November 19th 03, 10:59 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:00:34 -0500, stacey wrote:

Hank wrote:

Gee, do I get a prize? Ya know, I worried over having to use a boot
manager when I started my installs. But reading several websites the first
thing they always said was to install the oldest OS first, XP second and
just let the XP install handle boot management. It couldn't be simpler.

But only MS os's right? Just wondering..

Not just MS. Linux can manage a multi-boot install as well...

/daytripper (And LiLo isn't "special software", it's included ;-)
Old December 5th 03, 02:27 AM
Tony

Hank wrote in message
om...
Uh huh.

Game over, you lose.

/daytripper ("Next!" ;-)

How about:

Installed WinME on my C drive. (master)

Added the D drive with no OS (initially).

Booted from the XP Home CD and installed it on my D drive. (slave)

Rebooted, and I get the OS Boot option screen.

Went into XP and setup OS boot priority and wait time.

Been working since day one, no special anything.

Hank, will it work in this order?

1) Have Win98SE already installed on my C: drive
2) Putting together new system, adding a larger, blank, new drive as C:
3) Make my original Win98 C: slave to the new drive on IDE1
4) Use full release of XP to install on new C: drive

Old December 5th 03, 09:51 AM
ted msn

"Tony" wrote in message

Hank wrote in message
om...
Uh huh.

Game over, you lose.

/daytripper ("Next!" ;-)

How about:

Installed WinME on my C drive. (master)

Added the D drive with no OS (initially).

Booted from the XP Home CD and installed it on my D drive. (slave)

Rebooted, and I get the OS Boot option screen.

Went into XP and setup OS boot priority and wait time.

Been working since day one, no special anything.

Hank, will it work in this order?

1) Have Win98SE already installed on my C: drive
2) Putting together new system, adding a larger, blank, new drive as C:
3) Make my original Win98 C: slave to the new drive on IDE1
4) Use full release of XP to install on new C: drive

Why not leave the new drive as D: and put XP onto that. Will not the Win98
system have hardlinks to to drive C: that will now be XP?
regards
ted

Old December 5th 03, 10:59 PM
Tony

ted msn wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

Hank wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, that's an excellent point. I (like an idiot) assume that if MS has a
way to support multi-boot with its own OSes tht they'd have a way of
handling that. But if they don't, you're right, Win98 won't work. But one of
the other posters said "yes", so now I'm confused.

Old December 6th 03, 01:49 AM
Rod Speed

"Tony" wrote in message ...

ted msn wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

Hank wrote in message
[...]

I stupidly didnt allow for the multiboot in the subject and assumed you just
wanted to upgrade to XP and be able to copy the files etc after XP install.

Old December 6th 03, 03:01 PM
Tony

Rod Speed wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

ted msn wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

Hank wrote in message
[...]

So this is doable, Rod? Of course, if I do it this way, the "D:" disk would
have to be fdisk'd with a Primary partition, otherwise it will not be
bootable. Do you know if XP Pro does this automagically? (I have the full
install version).

This is, though, I still don't get how this could really work. The dual-boot
feature is part of the XP install, and disk (I would think). So in order for
that to appear on boot up, doesn't the XP disk HAVE to be the C: disk, as
that will be the first boot device?