Random "Operating System Not Found"

Old January 6th 05, 01:55 PM
JustTrying2Helpp

Default Random "Operating System Not Found"

My friend was having problems with her computer, Gateway P3 500 W98SE. Very
slow, hurky jerky mouse, weird problems. I'm pretty knowledgeable so I gave it
a try. Removed all kinds of spyware and finally got BOTH the CD reader and
writer to be VISIBLE. The writer disappeared a year ago. They were both on the
secondary. Thought is was the cable because not matter how I jumped, configured
the CDs only the one plugged into the cable master position (farthest away)
would show. Swapped cable all was well. I burn some CDs thought everything was
fine. Told her all was well pick it up tomorrow. This morning I power up and
get "operating system not found." Boot from floppy, FDISK gets an error
crashes. I try to run partition magic from DOS (both version 8 and 7 pro). Both
versions crash before they fully load, that never happened before. Sounded like
the hard disk (western digital) to me. I power off/on all is well now. Run WD
online diagnostic, says disk is good. I'm stumped. Any ides? Can you recommend
a diagnostic path I should be taking?
Old January 6th 05, 03:39 PM
CBFalconer

JustTrying2Helpp wrote:

[...]

Based on the power off overnight versus power off/on, I would
suspect the battery for the CMOS. It probably charged up enough to
allow the boot after off/on. Replace it.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
System clock speeds up / slows down at random .... ??? Bob Danielson General 3 July 18th 04 03:04 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
PII vs PIII Gregory L. Hansen General 114 October 15th 03 05:56 PM