Why can't I buy a Latitude without a company?

Old January 5th 05, 10:40 AM
Whytoi

Default Why can't I buy a Latitude without a company?

I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
robust machine.

I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
But it's a slightly more risky route.

Old January 5th 05, 11:11 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small business
with or without a real company.

--

Rob

Old January 5th 05, 12:28 PM
Whytoi

In article , Robert R Kircher, Jr.
wrote:

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small business
with or without a real company.

But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
rules. So...

Tell me more, I'll remember it next time.

Old January 5th 05, 02:04 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

wrote:

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small
business
with or without a real company.

But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
rules. So...

Tell me more, I'll remember it next time.

Order online via the small business site. I think it ask for a company
name. Make something up like My Friend Inc.

Once you've ordered that way you'll just use the same customer number for
any other orders that you may call in.

BTW: I haven't called in a order in years. I usually email a PDF of what I
configure on the web site to the sales agent I've been working with. Every
so often that agent moves on and I get an email from the new agent. In any
event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if you
happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two different
groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to the
SB group.

Good luck.

--

Rob

Old January 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Whytoi

wrote:

In any
event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if you
happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two different
groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to the
SB group.

Yes, I think that was the exact reason why an extra order was made on
my account (see previous post). The unethical agent in the home user
section rather than spending 2 mins on modifying my existing order
(alteration to the delivery method + an extra charge), she just went
ahead and added an identical order, at the same time lying to me on the
phone to say that the only way to do it was to cancel the present order
and generate a brand new one. The end result would have been further
delays in the delivery date for a further $69 out of my pocket. Just as
well I smelled fish and told her to do nothing and called back to
another agent.

Anyway, this kind of behaviour is so typical of those New York
photographic mail order stores, one that is most unbecoming of Dell.
The more I think about it, the more it ****es me off...

Old January 5th 05, 03:00 PM
Ira Hayes

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
robust machine.

I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
But it's a slightly more risky route.

--

Just order online from the small business website-- but be prepared to pay
sales tax which they collect on orders there.

Old January 5th 05, 04:52 PM
S.Lewis

wrote:

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small
business
with or without a real company.

But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
rules. So...

Tell me more, I'll remember it next time.

--

"Whytoi Enterprises", with your usual home address and phone.

Be sure you're calling the small business division ( I was told 400
employees or less). You shouldn't have a problem.

That should get you your Latitude.

Stew

Old January 5th 05, 06:04 PM
Boll Weevil

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:28:23 GMT, Whytoi wrote:
But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
rules. So...

Tell me more, I'll remember it next time.

What about using your work address, or your wives, or you another relative?

Old January 5th 05, 06:26 PM
Eugene

Whytoi wrote:

I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

What's Dell's thinking in making this demarcation? It's crazy isn't it?
I don't need those fancy and colorful covering on a laptop, but just a
robust machine.

I am aware that I can pick up a Latitude from eBay and other source.
But it's a slightly more risky route.

--

I didn't know if it was required or not and ordered on the phone and told
them "independent contractor"

Its the whole Business vs personal thing. People say I don't need to drive
a truck but I got tired of reaplacing vehicles every few years, so I bought
a truck since it was designed to last longer since it was intended to be
used for a business. I buy all contractor grade tools instead of black and
decker crap as well.

Old January 5th 05, 06:39 PM
Paul

Like Ira says, just order online via the Small Business section of the
website. Make up a company name if it's a required field - hell, make one
up anyway just so nobody second-guesses the order. If the credit card is
good, Dell will take your money.

If you have a sales rep or did talk to someone on the phone, *never* enter
the sales rep's code into the online order form.-- it will only stop the
order cold in it's tracks and even though you think your order is happily
speeding it's way through production, you'll get a call a day or two later
from the human rep wanting to "handle" the order. I no longer put our Dell
"account" number on my orders for this reason. Unfortunately their system
works this way and is completely stupid. It ****es the customer off by
delaying the order if you do want to do the "right" thing and give the
person a commission. My (former) sales rep at Dell told me when you put
these codes in, they have some sort of "exception" batch report that runs
every night and an excel spreadsheet of these orders is passed around in the
department for phone followup. Totally non-tech.

I assume now every time I order a PC from them a new account number is
created. So I have like 50 account numbers. Not a big deal, it's not like
I get special treatment or discounts. Dell's byzantine "sale" pricing is
hit or miss anyway.

-- Paul