Upgrade recommendations from Geforce 3 64 mb

Old October 24th 03, 11:00 PM
Dorian Gray

Default Upgrade recommendations from Geforce 3 64 mb

I have an Geforce 3 64 mb card (MSI 822). I am thinking of upgrading.
I was eyeing the upcoming ATI Radeon 9600 XT, but have heard mixed
reviews.

My system is as follows:
512 mb ram
Athlon 2100+ XP on Asus A7V333
Geforce 3 64 mb

I am looking to spend around $200.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old October 25th 03, 12:46 AM
Helion

The release of the 9600XT was delayed because the FX5700 was outperforming
it substantially. They apparently are making some additional changes other
than increasing core clock by 100Mhz. Either way both have a MSRP of
$199.00

Old October 25th 03, 01:30 AM
Rockin Ronnie

Oh yeah, read this!!!
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/5700/index.htm

BTW I have a 9600Pro and see no need to go to XT but Nvidiot is losing the
battle!
Ron

Old October 25th 03, 01:49 AM
Helion

We could play the which is better game all day ATI fan boy.... Quote:
The Radeon 9600XT is not that much faster than the old Radeon 9600 PRO and
certainly not faster than Hexus' NV36 FX 5700 [article in question here],
but we hear that ATI has plans to fix this.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/2860/

Old October 25th 03, 02:05 AM
Shawk

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

The XT is quicker if you want to use AA and the 5700 still doesnt do all the
shaders. Not an ATI fanboy - have one ATI and two NVidias in the PC's here.

Just wish NV would come up with the goods and some proper competition.

Old October 25th 03, 03:05 AM
Helion

Ummmm, you have the 5700 or 9600xt your saying????? talking about 1 card
that isnt released yet.

"Shawk" -guesses wrote in message

. com...

Old October 25th 03, 03:23 AM
Shawk

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
Ummmm, you have the 5700 or 9600xt your saying????? talking about 1 card
that isnt released yet.

"Shawk" -guesses wrote in message

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Best card I have is the 9600Pro. Its wrong I know but I'm just going by the
first review comparing the two.

Old October 25th 03, 05:26 PM
Skid

"Dorian Gray" wrote in message
I have an Geforce 3 64 mb card (MSI 822). I am thinking of upgrading.
I was eyeing the upcoming ATI Radeon 9600 XT, but have heard mixed
reviews.

My system is as follows:
512 mb ram
Athlon 2100+ XP on Asus A7V333
Geforce 3 64 mb

I am looking to spend around $200.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I see that your crossposting has had the predictable effect of launching
another round of the "mine is better than yours" holy wars between Nvidia
and ATI cultists.

My suggestion is to raise your budget by $43 and get the Sapphire 9800
non-pro from www.newegg.com. Overclock it to Pro speeds and it will dust
either one of the cards on your list.

Old October 27th 03, 09:01 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:00:45 -0400, Dorian Gray
wrote:

I have an Geforce 3 64 mb card (MSI 822). I am thinking of upgrading.
I was eyeing the upcoming ATI Radeon 9600 XT, but have heard mixed
reviews.

My system is as follows:
512 mb ram
Athlon 2100+ XP on Asus A7V333
Geforce 3 64 mb

I am looking to spend around $200.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

If you're buying today:

GF 5600Ultra (about $175)
ATI 9600 Pro (about $140) *AVOID POWER COLOR*

The ATI will pretty smoke the 5600Ultra.

Note the PRO & ULTRAs in their names.

Also, DO NOT GET 256mb versions! They offer no improvement or CLOCKED
slower. There isn't a 256mb on the market that offers worthwhile
performance (1-3fps for the $400 cards).

As posted by Another:

$245 - ATI 9800 (non PRO) or a 5900 (NON ultra) for $220...

PS: Sell your GF3 for about $40.

The ATI XT and GF5700s are not out yet... maybe in 30~45 days.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 28th 03, 12:34 AM
Dorian Gray

Well,

I first bought the ATI 9800 (non Pro) after reading that I could
possibly flash it to the pro. But, when I got the card, it had the
inferior Infineon ram.

Then I saw the FX 5700 Ultra at Best Buy, with a rebate. So I
returned the 9800 and got the FX 5700 Ultra.

I have been using Nvidia since the TNT days, so I just couldn't stray
in the end.

Thanks for all the advice!

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:01:06 GMT, Darthy
wrotf: