A problem with the screen saver and DOS Ful screen programs

Old August 2nd 03, 05:04 PM
Manfred Preußig

Default A problem with the screen saver and DOS Ful screen programs

Hello,
I have a problem each time my screen saver works with DPMS or when I use
a DOS Full screen program. I'm using a XFX GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 64 SDR
TV-Out GraCa with 44.03 Detonator on a win98FE system. When the screen
changes all works fine and the screen saver or the DOS program can be
used. But at the end the screen is not switched back correctly. Ther are
parts showing only colored pixels without showing anything with sense
and other parts showing regular parts of the desktop -but old parts not
actually used. I'm nearly sure these are parts of the desktop swapped
out before to show other windows overlapping those these desktop parts
belong to. Since 64 MB isn't needed for a 1024x768x16Bit desktop it
seems probable and thinkable to me that the rest is used as a swap area
for hidden parts of the windows shown on the desktop. Of course these
swapped data are not deleted as they are not needed anymore. I think the
memory management of the graca is confused so the scrren shown is a
mixture of the normal desktop and these parts outside the screen memory
normally used for the desktop.

If I do anything changing the desktop contents (like pressing the
windows key on the keyboard activating the task bar) the screen is
changed too -most in a part nearby to the top of the screen shown on the
monitor; at a line two or three centimeter down from the top. The real
desktop so seems to be comprimated at the top part of the screen.

This behaviour is not changeable through any action so the computer must
be rebooted. I haven't tested yet if there is any change if there is
activated the screen saver another time or a DOS full screen program (or
a mixture of it like: first the saver and then the DOS program or vice
versa).

Do anyone now this behaviour and know some other solution then nether
use the saver in DPMS-mode or a DOS full screen program? Do anyone know
where to get any of the older 3x.xx driver for the card (I want to try
this)? Can anything wrong in the system itself cause this behaviour (the
hardware isn't changed)?

Thanks and greetings

Manfred Preussig