Multi boot upgade with winxp

Old May 13th 04, 11:40 PM
Jay

Default Multi boot upgade with winxp

I am upgrading from Asus A7v133 to A7n8x-e Deluxe

Ideally I would like to remove WIN ME all together and be able to have my
winxp hard drive be the primary IDE master, be able to clean off the drive
and use it for storage

Also my boot.ini looks like this....
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

, Currently

"C" drive is plugged into Pri IDE and has Win ME on it...
"D" is plugged into Pri IDE (second connector) storage only
"E" is plugged into Pri ATA 100 Port and has Win XP on it
"F" is a DVDRW drive and is plugged into Sec ATA 100 Port

This is a multi boot system with Win ME being the origional OS
I install WIN XP on a new drive "e" and it is the only OS I use anymore.

When i connect these drives to the new motherboard WIN XP wont boot.....WIN
ME still will but like I said I never use it.

I connected the drives in the new mobo like this

C and D was plugged into PRI IDE
E and F was plugged into SEC IDE

when multi boot comes up if you select Start normally it runs for about 30
secs then reboots on its own if you run it in safe mode it will load about
25-30 drivers then reboot on its own....as i said it will run WIN ME
normally. Please advise on how to get this up and running

Old May 14th 04, 01:11 AM
rstlne

You really need to re-install winXP
your moving from a VIA chipset to a NV chipset and it's really not healty
(for windows) to do that.

You can try doing all of the repair jazz that people (like search for your
question here and you'll find the answer in these forums)

Old May 14th 04, 01:30 AM
Jay

I know I do but I really cant right now #1 I cant find my Win XP disc nor my
license paper....(just moved ) #2 I have no idea where 90% of my software
discs are. Sucks to move from a bigger place to a smaller on (Big) Frown
So if anyone could tell me what my boot.ini should look like and if editing
it will fix it, I would very much appriciate it!

TIA,
Jay

Old May 14th 04, 04:30 AM
daytripper

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:30:38 -0400, "Jay"
wrote:

You really need to re-install winXP
your moving from a VIA chipset to a NV chipset and it's really not healty
(for windows) to do that.

You can try doing all of the repair jazz that people (like search for your
question here and you'll find the answer in these forums)

I know I do but I really cant right now #1 I cant find my Win XP disc nor my
license paper....(just moved ) #2 I have no idea where 90% of my software
discs are. Sucks to move from a bigger place to a smaller on (Big) Frown
So if anyone could tell me what my boot.ini should look like and if editing
it will fix it, I would very much appriciate it!

Get a copy of System Commander, install it, let it find all your boot
partitions and set up a boot menu for you...

/daytripper (...and don't top post ;-)
Old May 14th 04, 04:32 AM
peter

Its not your Boot.ini thats the problem
When you installed XP as a 2nd boot option it actually set its master boot
record on the "C" drive....NOT the drive you installed it on.The only recourse
is a Repair Install and then because you changed MOBO the HAL.Dll file that was
created with the original install does not match your hardware anymore so XP
wont boot.
Both problems can be fixed with a repair install.
you really have to find that CD
peter

Old May 14th 04, 10:01 PM
Jay

Thanks peter I guess I will have to or find someone to let me borrow theirs,
I finnally found my origional license with my cd key on it, hopfully the cd
is not far behind!

Old May 15th 04, 11:54 AM
Tim

Jay,

Peter is largely correct - you have changed mobo so XP needs to rerun Plug
and Play detection to see your new hardware correctly. A repair install is
the right way to fix this so take a look at:

for some instructions. This will get your XP up and running again.

However until you have all your CD's and licenses at hand I suggest you get
things going (IE Do do the repair) only, and ease off.

With a config such as yours, it is quite possible some 3rd party
applications in XP may have sprinklings of things on C. So if you try to
remove stuff on C, or make E into C and ditch C (or reformat it) going with
XP permanently you may have a very miserable time and have to reinstall some
stuff anyway.

You will have C as your boot volume meaning this is where the bios goes to
start the OS and in there finds boot.ini and boot loader etc. So look after
your C drive until you are ready!

Down the track when you can account for all install CD's etc, backup data
and so on, then you could either move E to C which will require some fixing
up afterwards (a quick form of repair - have a fish aroung the website above
and you may see what I mean), or possibly do a fresh install of XP which is
always a good idea if you can afford the time. I always forget about
software licensing - so you will need to be aware that windows will need to
be reactivated if you re-install it - there are ways around this.

- Tim

Old May 15th 04, 02:53 PM
Jay

I dont mind re-activating wendows thats no prob cause i own the license and
i did finally find it.....but i still cant find my cd....to bad everyone i
know hase home editon