XP to AMD64 upgrade - another question.

Old December 16th 04, 12:59 AM

Default XP to AMD64 upgrade - another question.

Sorry if this sounds daft :

I have 3x 256mb pc3200 ddr dimms running dual channel mode. Looking at
the manuals for the boards i was going to get based on the nforce 3
250gb ( socket 754 ) or the nforce 3 ultra ( socket 939 ) i can only
use 2 dimms if i want to run at ddr400.

This will be only 512mb ram. Will this be a major stumbling block
compared to the 768 i have now? One of the boards i looked at, the dfi
UT lanparty 250gb will let me use 3 dimms but limits the speed to
ddr333.

So whats best? 512mb ram at ddr400 or 768mb ram at ddr333?

Will this negate the advantage of getting a amd64?

cheers

paul
Old December 16th 04, 01:23 AM
Dave C.

wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds daft :

I have 3x 256mb pc3200 ddr dimms running dual channel mode. Looking at
the manuals for the boards i was going to get based on the nforce 3
250gb ( socket 754 ) or the nforce 3 ultra ( socket 939 ) i can only
use 2 dimms if i want to run at ddr400.

This will be only 512mb ram. Will this be a major stumbling block
compared to the 768 i have now?

No. Chances are you rarely even use 512MB. So 512MB will be fine. -Dave

Old December 16th 04, 09:24 AM
Odie Ferrous

"Dave C." wrote:

wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds daft :

I have 3x 256mb pc3200 ddr dimms running dual channel mode. Looking at
the manuals for the boards i was going to get based on the nforce 3
250gb ( socket 754 ) or the nforce 3 ultra ( socket 939 ) i can only
use 2 dimms if i want to run at ddr400.

This will be only 512mb ram. Will this be a major stumbling block
compared to the 768 i have now?

No. Chances are you rarely even use 512MB. So 512MB will be fine. -Dave

Twaddle. I easily use 512MB.

You will be a lot better off (for most even slightly-hungry
applications) with 768MB at DDR333 than 512MB at DDR400.

I doubt most people can tell the speed difference between DDR333 and
DDR400 even if they were the same capacity.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old December 16th 04, 02:53 PM
Dave C.

Twaddle. I easily use 512MB.

What the heck are you running? It is really hard to get Windows XP to use
more than 512MB, even though the operating system itself uses about
56MB. -Dave

Old December 16th 04, 11:38 PM
Michael Hawes

"Dave C." wrote in message
Twaddle. I easily use 512MB.

What the heck are you running? It is really hard to get Windows XP to use
more than 512MB, even though the operating system itself uses about
56MB. -Dave

Painkiller uses more than 512MB!
Mike.

Memory upgrade question James D General 2 December 29th 04 12:36 PM
Athlon XP 3200+ to a AMD64 2800+ - Worthwhile upgrade? me!! Homebuilt PC's 10 July 29th 04 03:16 AM
Video card upgrade question.... [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 7 July 10th 04 09:52 PM
upgrade question rays Homebuilt PC's 0 April 20th 04 05:47 PM
Upgrade Question Jack Bruss Homebuilt PC's 3 October 18th 03 12:29 AM