What is a new good monitor to get these days?

Old December 18th 14, 05:14 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

Default What is a new good monitor to get these days?

Hello.

It looks like my very old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931BF monitor is dying
since it has problems turning on (black screens, flickers to black and
display fast, etc.) on multiple desktop computers. It is time to find a
replacement.

-22" horizontal width max(imum) due to my limited desk space and I need
to be able to move it around a little due to the annoying sun shining on
to it since window blinds don't help.
-Adjustable height.
-Tiltable.
-Still need VGA and DVI ports for old cables and computers (Linux,
Windows, and Mac)
-Do some basic graphic work.
-Do a lot of Internet, watching videos, some gaming, etc.

I noticed some current sales that might be good?
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/mnitrp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvsmlp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvp.shtml

I want to see the new monitor in person with local retail stores like
Costco, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc. before buying to be sure I
like it.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall
never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was
Old December 18th 14, 07:02 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

It looks like my very old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931BF monitor is dying
since it has problems turning on (black screens, flickers to black and
display fast, etc.) on multiple desktop computers. It is time to find a
replacement.

-22" horizontal width max(imum) due to my limited desk space

Makes more sense to reconfigure your desk now
so that your choices aren't crippled by the desk.

There are **** all decent monitors that aren't widescreen now.

and I need to be able to move it around a little due to the annoying sun
shining on to it since window blinds don't help.

I fixed that problem with a proper antiglare monitor.

Hard to find that in the specs tho, I had to work that out
with the monitors I got by looking at a youtube review
and checking if I could see reflections in the screen.

-Adjustable height.
-Tiltable.

It makes more sense to do that stuff in a separate
stand and not require it in the monitor itself.

-Still need VGA and DVI ports for old cables and computers (Linux,
Windows, and Mac)

Most do allow that.

-Do some basic graphic work.
-Do a lot of Internet, watching videos, some gaming, etc.

None of that affects your choices much.

Does the gaming involve stuff like freecell or fast moving stuff ?
That last does matter, you can get smearing etc with the slower
monitors.

I use one of mine as my main TV now and it works fine.

I noticed some current sales that might be good?
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/mnitrp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvsmlp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvp.shtml

I want to see the new monitor in person with local retail stores like
Costco, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc. before buying to be sure I like
it.

That is a real problem. I couldn’t find any examples
to look at in person myself, but then I don’t have
the same range of stores available locally and it
wasn’t worth paying anything like $100 just to
visit the state capital that does have those.

I found the youtube reviews very useful once I had
decided on a small handful of candidates from the
online prices and specs, particularly on the antiglare
which for some reason most manufacturers don’t
mention at all in the specs.

One thing I have found that I didn’t consider is that
the monitors have a shiny black surround and I do
get an unexpected effect where I can get a reflection
on that from someone walking past outside the
big patio doors if they are wearing very bright
clothes like those stupid safety orange tops etc.

I ended up with a couple of Asus VS248H monitors.
There are quite a few similar models with various
minor variations on stuff like speakers and USB hubs.

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking.

Old December 19th 14, 04:57 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 12/18/2014 10:02 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

It looks like my very old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931BF monitor is
dying since it has problems turning on (black screens, flickers to
black and display fast, etc.) on multiple desktop computers. It is
time to find a replacement.

-22" horizontal width max(imum) due to my limited desk space

Makes more sense to reconfigure your desk now
so that your choices aren't crippled by the desk.

Kind of hard to do since these are part of the tiny room. Heh.

There are **** all decent monitors that aren't widescreen now.

Wait, they still make new non-wide screen monitors?

and I need to be able to move it around a little due to the annoying
sun shining on to it since window blinds don't help.

I fixed that problem with a proper antiglare monitor.

Hard to find that in the specs tho, I had to work that out
with the monitors I got by looking at a youtube review
and checking if I could see reflections in the screen.

Ah, I remember I used to use those antiglare screen covers for CRT TVs
back in the early (19)90s. They were OK since they made my picture dark. :/

-Adjustable height.
-Tiltable.

It makes more sense to do that stuff in a separate
stand and not require it in the monitor itself.

Hmm, my old monitors could do that. New ones don't?

-Still need VGA and DVI ports for old cables and computers (Linux,
Windows, and Mac)

Most do allow that.

Good.

-Do some basic graphic work.
-Do a lot of Internet, watching videos, some gaming, etc.

None of that affects your choices much.

OK.

Does the gaming involve stuff like freecell or fast moving stuff ?
That last does matter, you can get smearing etc with the slower
monitors.

Both (yes, action games). IIRC, I need low milisecond numbers?

[...]

Thanks.

Thank you in advance.

Still smirking.

And forever.
--
"They are like the ant... They start one way and turn around and go the
other way... They look all the time at the ground and never see the
Old December 19th 14, 11:16 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ant wrote

It looks like my very old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931BF monitor is dying
since it has problems turning on (black screens, flickers to black and
display fast, etc.) on multiple desktop computers. It is time to find a
replacement.

-22" horizontal width max(imum) due to my limited desk space

Makes more sense to reconfigure your desk now
so that your choices aren't crippled by the desk.

Kind of hard to do since these are part of the tiny room. Heh.

I still don’t buy it. the different is only a few inches.

There are **** all decent monitors that aren't widescreen now.

Wait, they still make new non-wide screen monitors?

I doubt it but haven't checked that.

and I need to be able to move it around a little due to the annoying sun
shining on to it since window blinds don't help.

I fixed that problem with a proper antiglare monitor.

Hard to find that in the specs tho, I had to work that out
with the monitors I got by looking at a youtube review
and checking if I could see reflections in the screen.

Ah, I remember I used to use those antiglare screen covers for CRT TVs
back in the early (19)90s. They were OK since they made my picture dark.
:/

That doesn’t happen with proper antiglare LCD monitors.

My place is passive solar and in winter I quite literally
bask in the very bright sun streaming in thru the ****ing
great patio doors and with the old CRT monitors the
screens were completely unusable for a few hours.

Don’t have that problem anymore.

-Adjustable height.
-Tiltable.

It makes more sense to do that stuff in a separate
stand and not require it in the monitor itself.

Hmm, my old monitors could do that. New ones don't?

Not as well as a proper stand.

-Still need VGA and DVI ports for old cables and computers (Linux,
Windows, and Mac)

Most do allow that.

Good.

-Do some basic graphic work.
-Do a lot of Internet, watching videos, some gaming, etc.

None of that affects your choices much.

OK.

Does the gaming involve stuff like freecell or fast moving stuff ?
That last does matter, you can get smearing etc with the slower
monitors.

Both (yes, action games). IIRC, I need low milisecond numbers?

Dunno, I'm not into action games myself.

The ONLY game I ever play is Freecell Pro.

[...]

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't
enjoyed that so much the last time.

Old December 20th 14, 06:44 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:14:14 -0800, Ant wrote:

[...]

Asus PA-248 is just under 22" total width, 24" screen 1920 x 1200,
60hz.
Old December 21st 14, 03:58 AM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 12/20/2014 9:44 AM PT, typed:
Asus PA-248 is just under 22" total width, 24" screen 1920 x 1200,
60hz.

Interesting that its screen can be rotated vertically which I don't need
and have no room. Oh and that price. Yikes!
--
"No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @
Old December 21st 14, 04:00 AM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware
Ant[_3_]

FYI. I updated my request details (was able to make a little more room too):

-25" horizontal width max(imum)
-22" vertical height max(imum)
-Need to be able easily to rotate/move monitor due to the annoying sun
shining on to it since window blinds don't help.
-Limited desk space due to bookshelves and stuff.
-Adjustable height.
-Tiltable.
-Still need VGA and DVI ports for old cables and computers (Linux,
Windows, and Mac)
-Do some basic graphic work.
-Do a lot of Internet, watching videos, some gaming, etc.

On 12/18/2014 8:14 AM PT, Ant typed:

Hello.

It looks like my very old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931BF monitor is dying
since it has problems turning on (black screens, flickers to black and
display fast, etc.) on multiple desktop computers. It is time to find a
replacement.

I noticed some current sales that might be good?
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/mnitrp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvsmlp.shtml
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/video/tvp.shtml

I want to see the new monitor in person with local retail stores like
Costco, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc. before buying to be sure I
like it.

Thank you in advance.

--
"I'm not afraid of insects taking over the world, and you know why? It
would take about a million ants just to aim a gun at me, let alone fire
Old December 21st 14, 07:18 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:58:34 -0800, Ant wrote:

On 12/20/2014 9:44 AM PT, typed:
Asus PA-248 is just under 22" total width, 24" screen 1920 x 1200,
60hz.

Interesting that its screen can be rotated vertically which I don't need
and have no room. Oh and that price. Yikes!

Then look for a 23" or smaller. I have not seen many monitors with
narrow sides, so now you know what to look for. A 24" will fit--but if
you are happy with a 19", go for it....
Old December 21st 14, 07:31 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
wrote

Asus PA-248 is just under 22" total width, 24" screen 1920 x 1200, 60hz.

Interesting that its screen can be rotated vertically which
I don't need and have no room. Oh and that price. Yikes!

Yeah, it makes more sense to somehow allow for just another inch
so the normal 24" monitors are usable so your choice isnt crippled.
Old December 21st 14, 09:29 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.sys.hardware.ibmpc,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware
Ant[_3_]

On 12/21/2014 10:18 AM PT, typed:

Asus PA-248 is just under 22" total width, 24" screen 1920 x 1200,
60hz.

Interesting that its screen can be rotated vertically which I don't need
and have no room for its height. Oh and that price. Yikes!

Then look for a 23" or smaller. I have not seen many monitors with
narrow sides, so now you know what to look for. A 24" will fit--but if
you are happy with a 19", go for it....

I do want a monitor that is a little bigger. So far, I have these
listed to look at:

22"-25" Hewlett Packard (HP)-BW IPS LED = $129.99-$199.99 --
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/mnitrp.shtml (2nds on the 27th)

23" Dell S2340M IPS LED = $169.99 --
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-23-...itor/6814943.p

22" LG 22MP56HQ-P = $139.99
--https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/2pv6qw/which_25_width_monitor_to_get/cn0ur83

Weird, why did I include comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage newsgroup in
this newgroup thread? Heh.
--
"The world flatters the elephant and tramples on the ant." --Indian
| |o o| |