Memory Upgrade with faster memory? will it work?

Old September 10th 05, 07:15 PM
Kamal

Default Memory Upgrade with faster memory? will it work?

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 510m Laptop with 2 x 256mb chips installed.
There are no free slots so i will need to remove one of the chips to
upgrade.

I have found the memory upgrade for this machine on the Crucial memory
website.

their recommemded upgrade is

1 GB DDR PC2700 =B7 CL=3D2.5 =B7 UNBUFFERED =B7 NON-ECC =B7 DDR333 =B7
2=2E5V =B7 128Meg x 64 for =A3104.56

So i searched for this on Ebuyer.co.uk and found

Crucial 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 200pin SODIMM 128mx64 for notebooks
for =A388.90 which I believe is the same spec.

However I also found

Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 200pin SODIMM for notebooks for =A383.18

My Question is

1) can i use the faster memory than the specification.
2) Can i mix memory ie 1x256mb (PC2700) and 1x1gb (Pc3200)

thanks in advance for anyone who can advise=20

Kamal=20

Old September 11th 05, 12:00 AM
George Macdonald

On 10 Sep 2005 11:15:56 -0700, "Kamal"
wrote:

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 510m Laptop with 2 x 256mb chips installed.
There are no free slots so i will need to remove one of the chips to
upgrade.

I have found the memory upgrade for this machine on the Crucial memory
website.

their recommemded upgrade is

1 GB DDR PC2700 · CL=2.5 · UNBUFFERED · NON-ECC · DDR333 ·
2.5V · 128Meg x 64 for £104.56

So i searched for this on Ebuyer.co.uk and found

Crucial 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 200pin SODIMM 128mx64 for notebooks
for £88.90 which I believe is the same spec.

However I also found

Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 200pin SODIMM for notebooks for £83.18

My Question is

1) can i use the faster memory than the specification.

There should be no problem there. I haven't done exactly the same as you
but recently added a DDD333 SODIMM, from Crucial to a Thinkpad to go along
with the original DDR266 memory.

2) Can i mix memory ie 1x256mb (PC2700) and 1x1gb (Pc3200)

Yes again - should be OK.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old September 12th 05, 01:10 PM
Kamal

Thanks George

Am ordering the faster & Cheaper PC3200 - will let you know if there is
a problem.

Kamal