12-core AMD 3900X - does it need better cooling?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th 19, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Savard

Default 12-core AMD 3900X - does it need better cooling?

The recent announcement of the 3950X from AMD startled me.

Unlike the other new Ryzens, it doesn't include a Wraith cooler in the box.
Instead, it is recommended that at least a 280mm AIO cooler be used with it.

Not being an overclocker, I had to do some web searching to get a feel for what
was being referred to.

What I found out was:

An AIO cooler is a water cooler that comes with the radiator, the tubes, and the
water block all in a single unit. (You might still have to screw the fans on
yourself.) Not much chance of a leak, no need to periodically top up the fluid.

The 280mm dimension refers to the length of the cooler. A two-fan cooler will
typically be 240mm, and a three-fan cooler 360mm, the fans being 120mm square,
but there are extra-wide two-fan coolers.

My case has two holes in the back of it - for the more expensive and dangerous
custom water-cooling solution. I'm not sure where in the case I would mount the
fans of an AIO.

But then I've only got a 12-core 3900X, not a 16-core 3950X. Supposedly, the
Wraith cooler is good enough for that.

Not only did the 3950X announcement raise some doubts, in my searches I found
that with the stock cooler temps on a 3900X can go up to 95 degrees Celsius.
Apparently the chip can survive that. But I'd like to prolong the chip's life.

So I also looked into high-end air coolers. Mind you, the Wraith cooler looks
pretty impressive to me already. Would a fancy air cooler really be better?

One comparison of the best air and water coolers showed an air cooler - a Noctua
that was one tier down from the top end, a #14 with two heatsinks but only one
fan - as sneaking into 360mm AIO territory.

So maybe the two that I'm considering, that are available at my local computer
store, are both reasonable choices (they mount on Threadrippers as well as
AM4)...

the Noctua NH-D15, and the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. These are both their respective
manufacturers' top-of-the-line air cooler models, with two fans and two
heatsinks.

They're basically similar to another air cooler I saw in a video about someone
taking apart a video card and replacing the existing fans with a fancy air
cooler (DeepCool Assassin III).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YnpwAAHhM

DeepCool products are (or at least _were_) sold under the name Logisys in the
United States.

John Savard