Proliant 7000 or 5500?

Old February 20th 05, 12:01 AM
Guy Macon

Default Proliant 7000 or 5500?

I am thinking of replacing my 200MHz Pentium Pro 5500 with
something a bit faster. There are a lot of Xeon 5500s on eBay
with 400-550 Mhz Xeons, or I have an opportunity to pick up a
Proliant 7000 locally cheap.

Will I be able to put the 3GB of 228471-001 256MB ram chips and the
199598-001 4.3GB 2" high drives from my 5500 Pentium Pro in it?

Are there any disadvantages to the 7000 compareed to the 5500
other than physical size? How does the CPU upgrade situation
look on a 7000 compared to buying a Xeon 5500?

--
Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/

Old February 22nd 05, 04:55 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Guy,

I wouldnt give the 7000 a second thought. Stick with the 5500. if your 5000
has the EDO memery, and not the FPM memory, it will work in the 5500. Up to
4GB. Drives will work too, or, you can get the U2/U3 upgrade cages that are
floating around cheap. Drives and trays are another story, but you can get
u160 drives and a smart 5xxx series controller to get that 160MB/s goodness.

5500 is one of my favorite machines from Compaq. Best bang for the buck.

- LC

Old February 22nd 05, 06:28 PM
Askalon

I went with the 5500 over a 3000. never looked back. I would agree that
this machie is the best bang for the buck and with the quad processor
capability makes it even better.

I will have some spare 9.1 drives in the SCSI2 hot swap trays as well. Let
me know if you wish to upgrade from those 4.3's if you do go to the 5500.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:02 AM
Guy Macon

Askalon wrote:

I went with the 5500 over a 3000. never looked back. I would agree that
this machie is the best bang for the buck and with the quad processor
capability makes it even better.

I will have some spare 9.1 drives in the SCSI2 hot swap trays as well. Let
me know if you wish to upgrade from those 4.3's if you do go to the 5500.

I have a pentium pro 5500R, and am pondering getting a Xeon one.
What caught my eye was the two 7000's on eBay for $199 each.
The shipping will kill most buyers, but I am close enough to do
a local pickup.

The 7000 can be upgraded to eight Xeons, has more open bays for
CD-ROMs, and holds 50% more drives. And it is a lot bigger.
One of the things I like best about my 5500R is the look on my
customer's faces when I give them a tour. The 7000 would be even
better.

On the other hand NuTCrAcKeR likes the 5500, and he has never
steered me wrong.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:51 PM
Doug F

Hi Guy,

I could be mistaken, but I think the limit on 6000 and 7000 series
servers is 4 xeon processors and only the 8000 series had 8 way
capability. Also the max speed is only 500mhz on the PL7000.

Doug

Old February 24th 05, 01:56 AM
Guy Macon

Doug F wrote:

Hi Guy,

I could be mistaken, but I think the limit on 6000 and 7000 series
servers is 4 xeon processors and only the 8000 series had 8 way
capability. Also the max speed is only 500mhz on the PL7000.

|ProLiant 7000 8-Way Xeon Upgrade Kit
|
|HP/Compaq Mfr. Part#: 401961-B21
|
|This 8-Way Xeon Upgrade Kit includes hardware and software required
|to perform an in-chassis upgrade of Proliant 7000 servers with
|Pentium Pro, Pentium II Xeon or Pentium III Xeon processors. This
|kit converts a Proliant 7000 to a Proliant 8000 server with up to
|eight processors. 8-way Proliant Servers will not function with
|a mix of PII and PIII Xeon processors.

Also see:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...andanswer.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...ade/index.html

(Of course *finding* the upgrade might be difficult...)

Old February 24th 05, 02:40 AM
Nut Cracker

Also see:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...andanswer.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...ade/index.html

(Of course *finding* the upgrade might be difficult...)

Ah, yes ... indeed, finding such a thing for less than $10K might be the
hard part.

Parts o` plenty for the 5500's, cheap too. Besides, do you have 2000/2003
advanced server to work with the 8way systems?

- LC

Old February 24th 05, 05:09 AM
Guy Macon

Nut Cracker wrote:

Also see:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...andanswer.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...ade/index.html

(Of course *finding* the upgrade might be difficult...)

Ah, yes ... indeed, finding such a thing for less than $10K might be the
hard part.

Parts o` plenty for the 5500's, cheap too. Besides, do you have 2000/2003
advanced server to work with the 8way systems?

I spend most of my time in Slackware linux, but I do have a 100%
legal copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

As much as I like the look of the proliant 7000 hulk, I am going to
stick with the 5500. Two of them stacked with a U1 or two between
them will look just as impressive, I have a much better chance of
upgrading to Xeons with the 5500, and with two of them I can start
playing with redundant configurations. Good advice, as usual.

Maybe in another 5 years the 8-way Xeon 8000s will be a couple of
hundred bucks...