ATi 9500 128MB non-pro (256bit) or nvidia FX5700 card

Old February 23rd 04, 08:33 PM
G-imme

Default ATi 9500 128MB non-pro (256bit) or nvidia FX5700 card

I am thinking about change my 9500 to an FX5700 (DDR or w/DDRII) Is
it a big difference? Or only minor and not worth it? How's the
current performance in Linux? I have not been satisfied with Ati
Linux drivers, but I can play all my games in windows. ( would have
been nice to compare playing Neverwinter nights.)

Thanks
Old February 24th 04, 08:37 AM
Kai Robinson

oooh - tough call. If your 9500 has the 'L' shaped memory - you can softmod
it to 9700 - and enable the 256-bit memory bus and the extra 4-pipelines.
From my own experience, and benchmark results - you'd not see a great deal
of improvement for your money. stick with the radeon until the new cards
come out in a few months. then the prices will drop on the older FX cards.

Kai

om...

Old February 24th 04, 05:06 PM
G-imme

"Kai Robinson" wrote in message ...
oooh - tough call. If your 9500 has the 'L' shaped memory - you can softmod
it to 9700 - and enable the 256-bit memory bus and the extra 4-pipelines.
From my own experience, and benchmark results - you'd not see a great deal
of improvement for your money. stick with the radeon until the new cards
come out in a few months. then the prices will drop on the older FX cards.

Kai

Thanks Kai for responding. Yeah it is a model that can be softmodded
into a 9700. Unfortunately, mine has artifacts when running many 3D
apps/games, an when viewing DVD's.
Old February 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Kai Robinson

"G-imme" wrote in message
om...
"Kai Robinson" wrote in message

oooh - tough call. If your 9500 has the 'L' shaped memory - you can

softmod
it to 9700 - and enable the 256-bit memory bus and the extra

4-pipelines.
From my own experience, and benchmark results - you'd not see a great

deal
of improvement for your money. stick with the radeon until the new cards
come out in a few months. then the prices will drop on the older FX

cards.

Kai

Thanks Kai for responding. Yeah it is a model that can be softmodded
into a 9700. Unfortunately, mine has artifacts when running many 3D
apps/games, an when viewing DVD's.

Hmm - rather than dropping money on an FX5700 - why not spend a little less
on a second hand (or even clearance) Radeon 9700 pro - less money, better
performance, no messing with drivers.

nVidia's recent lacklustre offerings have disappointed me, and while the
5700 ultra/5900's are good cards - they still pale in comparison to even
older cards. Their DX9 performance is pathetic too.

Not to knock em - the GeForce 4's still kick ass, and up until recently, my
GeForce 3 did me proud....