How to Install One Driver in Proliant Support Pack

Old July 21st 06, 10:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default How to Install One Driver in Proliant Support Pack

I'm using the Proliant Support Pack for Windows 2003, and I want to know how
do I select a single driver and install it from the GUI? If you highlight
one driver and selected the menu option to install just selected drivers, it
installs every one of them!

--
Will

Old July 21st 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
I'm using the Proliant Support Pack for Windows 2003, and I want to know
how
do I select a single driver and install it from the GUI? If you
highlight
one driver and selected the menu option to install just selected drivers,
it
installs every one of them!

--
Will

To install just one package from the kit, browse the folder that you are
running setup from. Surely you have noticed a couple dozen packages in
there. There is a .txt (bpXXXXXX.txt) file near the top that indexes the
package names to the driver/apps. Find the desription of the package you are
looking for, idetify the cpXXXXX.exe file that corresponds to the
description, locate that package in the installation directory, and double
click it.

Piece of cake.

- LC

Old July 21st 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Will wrote:
I'm using the Proliant Support Pack for Windows 2003, and I want to
know
how
do I select a single driver and install it from the GUI? If you

highlight
one driver and selected the menu option to install just selected
drivers,

it
installs every one of them!

Im curious. If you have a ProLiant Server running Win2003, why would
you NOT want every single updated driver that applies to that machine
and OS?

Jeff

to re-install a single coponent, I would think. I have had to do this many,
many times.

- LC

Old July 21st 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Because the last time we installed all of the drivers it crashed the
machine, resulted in two weeks of downtime, and ended up taking Microsoft
taking direct control of the machine for three days to fix.

--
Will

Old July 21st 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
To install just one package from the kit, browse the folder that you are
running setup from. Surely you have noticed a couple dozen packages in
there. There is a .txt (bpXXXXXX.txt) file near the top that indexes the
package names to the driver/apps. Find the desription of the package you

are
looking for, idetify the cpXXXXX.exe file that corresponds to the
description, locate that package in the installation directory, and double
click it.

Okay, I can do it the manual way, but I would have hoped that HP would have
thought through allowing some interface via the GUI. It would be a lot
more efficient use of time and less error prone.

I'm still missing the driver update utility / GUI that went with the
Workstation 5100 back in the 1998 to 1999 timeframe. That thing was
unbelievably functional, and all of HP's OS support packs since then seem to
just be moving sideways or slightly down in terms of functionality.

--
Will

Old July 22nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Will" wrote
Because the last time we installed all of the drivers it crashed the
machine, resulted in two weeks of downtime, and ended up taking Microsoft
taking direct control of the machine for three days to fix.

I've never seen this happen on a "standard" machine with a "standard"
installation of the MS OS and the HP drivers.

So what is it about this machine that makes it so non-standard?

Old July 23rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"Jez T" wrote in message
I've never seen this happen on a "standard" machine with a "standard"
installation of the MS OS and the HP drivers.

So what is it about this machine that makes it so non-standard?

100% default install on 100% genuine HP and we were 100% screwed.

Your question presumes a lot.

--
Will

Old July 23rd 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
"Jez T" wrote in message
I've never seen this happen on a "standard" machine with a "standard"
installation of the MS OS and the HP drivers.

So what is it about this machine that makes it so non-standard?

100% default install on 100% genuine HP and we were 100% screwed.

Your question presumes a lot.

--
Will

what got jacked, and what was done in the time that MS had control of the
machine ?

- LC

Old July 23rd 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Will" wrote
I've never seen this happen on a "standard" machine with a "standard"
installation of the MS OS and the HP drivers.

So what is it about this machine that makes it so non-standard?

100% default install on 100% genuine HP and we were 100% screwed.

Your question presumes a lot.

Not presuming anything. I've done the firmware and drivers thing on many a
proliant with many a Windows operating system, and I've only very rarely
seen it go wrong, and in both cases that was fixed with a simple firmware
update.

If your machine was installed as you describe, I would be extremely
interested in seeing the case notes - what went wrong and how was it fixed,
why was it not possible to DR the machine, why Microsoft was involved and
not HP - there's a lot of issues and a lot of decisions that got made in
this case that make it interesting. And something MUST be "non-standard"
otherwise I can't understand how a driver update should kill a machine to
the extent that it takes 2 weeks to get it up & running again.

It's just good engineering - when something goes wrong, you learn far more
than you would do if it went right.

Jez