Proliant 530ML Integrated SCSI?

Old June 14th 06, 02:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Proliant 530ML Integrated SCSI?

I am working with a local charity to try and revive a donated, 'slightly
used' Proliant. It's a rack config, G1 with the 1Ghz processor and fully
populated with 9.1 G drives (12).

The boot is currently set up on a Smart Array Controller (bios says SAC
431) and controls the first 6 drives fine. I currently have them set up
on a RAID 0+1 config (2 logicals) with one hot spare each.

The drives on the right side cage (1) are cabled to the 'integrated
controller' on the MB.

How the heck do I configure that? The array config util only sees the
PCI slot Smart Array controller. The bios does see the drives on the
'integrated', spins them up... and provides accurate reports (like if I
unplug one or put a known-bad hot-swap in).

Sorry for all the info... I've worked mostly with HP servers. What do I
do to config the integrated controller? Is is RAID or not? I see answers
all over the web on this.

I get no prompt for the F9 Rom Based Setup... if I run the system config
diskettes I see no way to config the integrated controller.

The Windows 2000 advanced server platform runs ok... but I want the use
of the other 6 drives.

How do I do this? Please help a frustrated idiot out here?

Jake
Old June 14th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Jake wrote:
I am working with a local charity to try and revive a donated, 'slightly
used' Proliant. It's a rack config, G1 with the 1Ghz processor and fully
populated with 9.1 G drives (12).

The boot is currently set up on a Smart Array Controller (bios says SAC
431) and controls the first 6 drives fine. I currently have them set up
on a RAID 0+1 config (2 logicals) with one hot spare each.

The drives on the right side cage (1) are cabled to the 'integrated
controller' on the MB.

I'm no Proliant expert, but I'd guess that right side cage that's
connected to the integrated controller is not going to be able to do
hardware RAID... I believe I've got that on my Proliant 6400R as well,
(or at least I did on my old 5500R) and it didn't have any RAID capabilities
You might see if your RAID controller (SA431) is dual channel or not
(I'm not familiar with anything but the SA3200) and if so, you might
be able to plug the right side cage into that other channel to get it
up and going with the RAID -- or perhaps get another RAID controller?

Anyway, I'm sure a few of the other guys here can reply with more
accurate info than I can/did..

-- Rick

Old June 14th 06, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

You might see if your RAID controller (SA431) is dual channel or not
(I'm not familiar with anything but the SA3200) and if so, you might
be able to plug the right side cage into that other channel to get it
up and going with the RAID -- or perhaps get another RAID controller?

Thanks Rick,

The -431 is single channel for sure. What part number would I use to dig
up a dual channel or another single on Ebay or what-not?

Right now, I guess it would be good enough just to get Windows to
recognize the darn things. It does show two additional logical drives
(in addition to the 2 controlled by the -431). How do I configure those?
Two logicals across six drives seems nutty. I dunno.... maybe something
is wrong in the config.... if I could ever find it.

It boots fine... but Windows shows the first -431 drive starting at E...
if I remember correctly.

Volunteer work.... UUUGGGHHH! I'll get it done!

Let me know about the controllers, guys... I'd spend a few bucks to make
it right for these folks.

Jake

Old June 14th 06, 03:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jake" wrote in message
m...
[...]

yah, you need another controller ( or a controller with 2 channels ) for
that other cage. no way around it.

See if you can find a cheap SA5302. that would totally take care of you.
With its 2 channels, you can split your array volumes between channels/cages
and get significantly better I/O.

The last 5302 I got off ebay was like $35 shipped .... just lurk and wait.
the deals are there.

- LC

Old June 14th 06, 11:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jake schrieb:
[...]

The ML530 has no optional Integrated Smart Array Controller (like the
ML570). If you want both cages on two channels you need a pci two
channel array controller.

BTW: do you know this page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=341571

--
Albrecht Jacobs
Old June 16th 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

The last 5302 I got off ebay was like $35 shipped .... just lurk and wait.
the deals are there.

- LC

OK, I got a 5304 for $45.00. Thanks for the advice.

Am I going to have to reinstall the O/S when I replace the single
channel controller with this this quad?

Jake
Old June 16th 06, 04:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jake" wrote in message
m...

The last 5302 I got off ebay was like $35 shipped .... just lurk and
wait. the deals are there.

- LC

OK, I got a 5304 for $45.00. Thanks for the advice.

Am I going to have to reinstall the O/S when I replace the single channel
controller with this this quad?

Jake

You shouldnt ...

I can only speak to windows setups ... so here you go:

Install the 5304 in the server, upon boot go into the RBSU and clear out any
missing drives/array volumes that it might complain about, and let windows
load. Then, install the latest firmware and driver package from the HP site.
Then shutdown. remove the old card, boot and run the F10 utilities. It will
note that you removed a board, and installed a board. Set the new 5304 to be
the first controller, save settings, and power off.

Cable channels 1 and 2 from the controller to the 2 cages. Then, carefully
move every-other drive to the second cage. If the second cage has (unused)
drives in it, remove them and set them to the side. See the ASCII table
below:

Start with what you see here (should be what you have, pretty much)

Cage 1 Cage 2
+---------------------+ +---------------------+
- 1- 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6-

then, change the drives so it looks like this:

Cage 1 Cage 2
+---------------------+ +---------------------+
- 1- 3 - 5 - - 2 - 4 - 6 -

Upon boot, the controller will learn that the drives were part of a raid
volume, and automatically configure itself and renumber the dirves and thier
positions. The OS should then boot up since it already has the proper driver
for the SA5304. It should also be a fair bit faster. Acceleration may be
disabled until the cache batteries charge up. But, that only counts for
WRITE caching, not READ caching.

If you have extra drives, add them in after you get into windows. use the
ACU to configure new a new array volume from the new disks, and then
partition and format using Windows Disk Management.

piece of cake .... I wouldnt know what to do if yer running any type of
*nix.

Ask me any other questions you might have.

- LC

Old June 17th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

You shouldnt ...

I can only speak to windows setups ... so here you go:

Install the 5304 in the server, upon boot go into the RBSU and clear out any
missing drives/array volumes that it might complain about, and let windows
load. Then, install the latest firmware and driver package from the HP site.
Then shutdown. remove the old card, boot and run the F10 utilities. It will
note that you removed a board, and installed a board. Set the new 5304 to be
the first controller, save settings, and power off.

LC,

With the -431 controller there is no RBSU. Are you saying one is present
with the 5304?

Jake

Old June 17th 06, 03:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

LC,

With the -431 controller there is no RBSU. Are you saying one is present
with the 5304?

Jake

Yes

OK, Thanks....

When I get the thing, there might be more questions (-;.....

It's running Win 2000 Advanced Server. See any problems there?

Thanks again,

Jake