ati 9800xt or navida 5950 ulta ??

Old January 18th 04, 07:56 PM

Default ati 9800xt or navida 5950 ulta ??

P4 2.6 , 1 gig ram, 200 gig hd, both about the same cost, play c&c Generals and games like that

Old January 18th 04, 09:00 PM
Scotter

I'm running the Nvidia 5950ultra with a 64-bit AMD FX-51... fast setup...
but I know for a fact my setup would be faster if I had bought the ATI
9800XT card instead. I chose the Nvidia because it is said to be a quieter
card.
They are very close but you can go to http://www.futuremark.com and search
the projects and see with same cpu and changing out those two cards, that
people with the ATI card scored around 1500 points higher.
I've also seen tons of comparisons/benchmarks all over the net supporting
this.
Sad because I've been using Nvidia for a long time now since my first Riva
TNT card... but yeah I chose Nvidia again... stupid loyalty combined with
the quieter solution because I was trying to build a machine that could
perform but be quiet.
If you don't care about fans being a bit louder, get the ATI.
I also hear the anti-aliasing on the ATI card is much higher quality/more
advanced. AND the ATI is better equipped to handle the very newest games
like Halo and the coming Half-Life2 and Doom 3. But who knows by then maybe
Nvidia will have come out with their next gen card that leapfrogs ATI's best
and I'll take a $250 loss and sell my 5950 ultra for $250

Old January 18th 04, 10:05 PM
John Lewis

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:00:07 GMT, "Scotter" wrote:

[...]

Nope.

and the coming Half-Life2

Maybe.

and Doom 3.

Nope. OpenGL

But who knows by then maybe
Nvidia will have come out with their next gen card that leapfrogs ATI's best
and I'll take a $250 loss and sell my 5950 ultra for $250

If I did not have a 5900 already clocking at 5900Ultra speed, I
might take you up on that offer.

The distant grass is always greener. I have a very large collection
of both old and new games. nVidia's broad driver support is
consistently much better.

Take a look at the huge list of games in which the graphics were
(supposedly) finally fixed on Cat 3.10. Notice the age of some of
those games. Seems as if Ati took their sweet time fixing driver
problems for published titles. Also, I note that some of the titles
in the 3.10 fix list were subject to earlier forum suggestions by Ati
personnel that the game needed to be fixed, not the Ati driver.
..
No doubt Ati were distracted by the driver optimizations they were
putting in place for the non-existent Half-Life 2, due to their cozy
business relationship with Valve. Putting the actual customer first ?
Pah !!

John Lewis

Old January 18th 04, 10:08 PM
Dark Avenger

wrote in message ...
P4 2.6 , 1 gig ram, 200 gig hd, both about the same cost, play c&c Generals and games like that

you ask on a nvidia group...mmm ah well personly I would go for the
Ati 9800XT, since DX9 is coming and ati has worked that out better
yet.

But the 5950 Ultra is fine to!
Old January 20th 04, 04:11 AM
Brad

ATI. The 9800 Pro or 9800 XT. With what nvidia did to me with the 5700
Ultra, I will not buy nvidia cards for a long,long time
"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...

Old January 20th 04, 11:11 AM
Dark Avenger

.

wrote in message
P4 2.6 , 1 gig ram, 200 gig hd, both about the same cost, play c&c

Generals and games like that

Well John Lewis, is it me or do you taste like envy.

Come on, you have shown your disapproval for Ati enough to make me
think you envy those who we're warned in time to buy an ati card while
you are stuck with a FX5200 Non Ultra 64-bits memory interface.

.... don't say such to be true! That would be so sad!