AMD DirectX 11 White Paper Released

Old June 28th 09, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
NV55

Default AMD DirectX 11 White Paper Released

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1001/1/
Old June 28th 09, 03:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Trimble Bracegirdle

Its just over two years since I made certain to get a DX10 card (Nvidia
GTX8800)
in the expectation then that I would really need DX10 soon.
Two years later I have never needed to use DX10 & don't feel I'm missing
out.

My guess is DX11 is a bit like Windows VISTA versus Win 7 ...its a
essentially a
re-release to get technically & marketing wise, right that first attempt.

DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
feet
& screeching at the Sky.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse (at least he'll get some exercise)

Old June 28th 09, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Westworld

NV55 wrote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1001/1/

"DirectX 11 is about efficiency"

Same line we were fed with DX10 hype. Oh, but this time they really mean
it, right?
Old June 28th 09, 10:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access[_2_]

"Trimble Bracegirdle" wrote in message
Its just over two years since I made certain to get a DX10 card (Nvidia
GTX8800)
in the expectation then that I would really need DX10 soon.
Two years later I have never needed to use DX10 & don't feel I'm missing
out.

Same here! I have a dual-boot system with Vista (DX-10) but I'm still
playing all my games on Windows XP!
Mickeysoft really should release DirectX-11 for XP or Vista! But of course
that won't sell any software licenses...

Old June 29th 09, 12:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Antonio Huerta

On Jun 28, 11:35*pm, "Trimble Bracegirdle" wrote:

DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
feet & screeching at the Sky.

I did reading about DX11. It appears nVidia implemented their own
hardware solution (CUDO and PhysX), and AMD implemented their own
solution (hardware support of Havok engine). But what's likely to
happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
to the graphical effects. The only thing is that, for example, in case
of nVidia, all that proprietary graphical hardware will not be
utilised. In other words, the DX11 will work on your DX10 card, albeit
slowly. Later, you will want to get a DX11 card which will be faster
at drawing DX11 graphics.
Old June 29th 09, 10:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Trimble Bracegirdle:
Its just over two years since I made certain to get a DX10 card (Nvidia
GTX8800)
in the expectation then that I would really need DX10 soon.

When the Geforce 8 series came out I got one because they also were the
fastest DX9 cards available, not because of DX10. DX10 was just
additional value.

Two years later I have never needed to use DX10 & don't feel I'm missing
out.

I used DX10 in the games that made use of it (Crysis, Bioshock), and
while it wasn't groundbreaking, the gfx was a bit better than with plain
DX9.

Benjamin
Old June 29th 09, 10:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DrTeeth

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:29:10 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Benjamin Gawert disturbed my reverie and wrote:

the gfx was a bit better than with plain
DX9.

TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
which was which.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old June 29th 09, 05:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Oliver Nowak

Antonio Huerta wrote :
On Jun 28, 11:35*pm, "Trimble Bracegirdle" wrote:

DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
feet & screeching at the Sky.

I did reading about DX11. It appears nVidia implemented their own
hardware solution (CUDO and PhysX),

Well, CUDA and PhysX aren't directly related to DX11, the former makes
the GPU accessible for general purpose computing tasks (if it's
parallelizable), the latter is for physics calculations (as the name
suggests). DX11 will have "compute shaders" however - the equivalent to
Nvidia's CUDA.

and AMD implemented their own
solution (hardware support of Havok engine).

I'm not up to date on this, but last I checked when they announced
support for Havok, they actually meant to optimize it for their CPUs
rather than run it on the video hardware. They've got, after all, all
of those quad core (and maybe sexa-core - do they plan desktop variants
of "Istanbul"?) CPUs to sell, which aren't properly supported by games
to date.

But what's likely to
happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
to the graphical effects.

OpenCL is another equivalent to Nvidia's proprietary CUDA (meaning
allowing for general purpose computing on the GPU, not necessarily
graphics) - this time a cross-platform multi-vendor open standard
effort which is headed by Apple, IIRC.

snip

--
O.

Old June 29th 09, 09:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
which was which.

When I went from XP SP3 directly to Windows 7 (avoided Vista completely on
my own systems), I immediately noticed that games like Fallout 3, Bioshock
and a few others had some nicer, finer details and better quality effects.
They still looked great in DX9, but the DX10 difference was more polished
and subtle. Kind of like good, well done makeup on an already gorgeous
woman. Probably get flamed for that last analogy.....

Old June 29th 09, 10:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DrTeeth

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:40:34 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"Augustus" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Probably get flamed for that last analogy.....

By people who need a life or look like my arse lol
--

Cheers,

DrT