SLI in Quad Environment Question

Old March 10th 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bfitzwater

Default SLI in Quad Environment Question

I just acquired a Dell XPS 710 with a Quad Nvidia Geforce 8800gtx
setup. I will use it mostly for CAD rather than games, maybe a little
flight simulator. I only have one 30" monitor right now but would
like to add a couple more. The box has 4 dual link dvi outputs. I am
running the cards in SLI mode.

Is my assumption that I can only use 2 of the 4 DVI ports while in SLI
mode correct? I'm thinking if I want to have 3 monitors for my CAD
and MS Flight Simulator then I will have to Disable SLI?

Any idea if MS Flight Simulator or OpenGL CAD programs will suffer
greatly if not run in SLI mode.

Thanks in advance

Old March 10th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Quad 8800GTX? Dell's web site shows a conventional dual 8800GTX SLI as the
top-end configuration. The fact that your box has only 4 DVI outputs (2 per
card) seems to confirm this.

In SLI mode only *1* monitor will be active. If you want to see anything on
a 2nd or 3rd monitor, SLI will have to be disabled.

CAD programs won't see a performance drop with SLI disabled. However, Flight
Simulator might, especially if you play at the 30" monitor's native
resolution (2560x1600 for Dell's) with 4x AA or higher. Only way to know for
sure is to try. Flight Simulator's image quality is sensitive to AA, since
the draw distance is likely pretty far.

ups.com...

Old March 10th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

bfitzwater wrote:
I just acquired a Dell XPS 710 with a Quad Nvidia Geforce 8800gtx
setup. I will use it mostly for CAD rather than games, maybe a little
flight simulator. I only have one 30" monitor right now but would
like to add a couple more. The box has 4 dual link dvi outputs. I am
running the cards in SLI mode.

Is my assumption that I can only use 2 of the 4 DVI ports while in SLI
mode correct? I'm thinking if I want to have 3 monitors for my CAD
and MS Flight Simulator then I will have to Disable SLI?

Any idea if MS Flight Simulator or OpenGL CAD programs will suffer
greatly if not run in SLI mode.

Thanks in advance

I'll echo what 1st' said. You don't have four video cards! And, you
might not know this, but Dell is offering a free mobo upgrade to the um,
lucky, owners of the XPS 7xx series based on several technical flubs and
odd, Dell-like decisions.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...8/24/2240.aspx

Interesting reading for DIY-ers and for those who have to now deal with
Dell owners who are entering the enthusiast market for the first
time...much like the OP!

Good luck!