What are those GSO, GS, GT, GTS, GTX, GTX+, Ultra codenames standfor?

Old January 13th 09, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
T. T.

Default What are those GSO, GS, GT, GTS, GTX, GTX+, Ultra codenames standfor?

Hi there, sorry if this has been discussed before. I had tried to
google it but couldn't seem to be able to find a quick answer. For
nvidia graphics cards, what does these codenames stands for?

GSO
GS
GT
GTS
GTX
GTX+

For example, here it listed quite a few graphics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...X-SP2,784.html

But I just don't know how to really differentiate their true
differences (e.g. 8800 GTS vs 8800 GS or 8800 GT), if someone could
please explain how nVidia came up with these codenames please let me
know, thanks!
Old January 13th 09, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ian D

"T. T." wrote in message
Hi there, sorry if this has been discussed before. I had tried to
google it but couldn't seem to be able to find a quick answer. For
nvidia graphics cards, what does these codenames stands for?

GSO
GS
GT
GTS
GTX
GTX+

For example, here it listed quite a few graphics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...X-SP2,784.html

But I just don't know how to really differentiate their true
differences (e.g. 8800 GTS vs 8800 GS or 8800 GT), if someone could
please explain how nVidia came up with these codenames please let me
know, thanks!

It's advertising hype. GTX must be better than GTS. GTX+ - that
must really be something. Anything that has Ultra, must be the
king of the lot.

Old January 14th 09, 05:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Marketing jargon. Toyota brands its Camrys in trim levels like CE, SE, LE,
XLE, etc. for the same reason.

If you want to know the real differences in terms of shader units and
pipelines, go he
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=3

Old January 14th 09, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ian D

"T. T." wrote in message
Hi there, sorry if this has been discussed before. I had tried to
google it but couldn't seem to be able to find a quick answer. For
nvidia graphics cards, what does these codenames stands for?

GSO
GS
GT
GTS
GTX
GTX+

For example, here it listed quite a few graphics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...X-SP2,784.html

But I just don't know how to really differentiate their true
differences (e.g. 8800 GTS vs 8800 GS or 8800 GT), if someone could
please explain how nVidia came up with these codenames please let me
know, thanks!

This doesn't explain the differences, but it's a complete GPU
hierarchy chart with increasing performance from bottom to
top, and left to right in each row. It will show you where cards
stand, relative to the suffixes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2118-7.html

Old January 19th 09, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
K2NNJ[_5_]

First of One wrote:
Marketing jargon. Toyota brands its Camrys in trim levels like CE, SE, LE,
XLE, etc. for the same reason.

If you want to know the real differences in terms of shader units and
pipelines, go he
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=3

How come I cannot find a 9800GT in that graph? I am curious as to why
some websites don't even list it.
I have PNY 9800GT 1024, and they don't list it on their site.
Old January 19th 09, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Anonymous

K2NNJ wrote:

First of One wrote:
Marketing jargon. Toyota brands its Camrys in trim levels like CE, SE, LE,
XLE, etc. for the same reason.

If you want to know the real differences in terms of shader units and
pipelines, go he
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=3

How come I cannot find a 9800GT in that graph? I am curious as to why
some websites don't even list it.
I have PNY 9800GT 1024, and they don't list it on their site.

It is listed, right between the 9600GT and the 9800GTS. Did you forget
to put on your glasses? ;-)

Bye!

Old January 20th 09, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Like Anonymous said, right between the 9600GT and the 9800GTS. :-) The two
cards aren't all that different. The 9800GT uses the G92-D8E core. The
8800GT uses the G92-D8P. Clock speeds are the same.