X1950 temperatures

Old January 2nd 09, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Neil

Default X1950 temperatures

Another Christmas, another game that pushes my video card a bit further than
the stuff I have already. When I leave this one, I always see a warning
that the clock speed is being reduced to stop the video card overheating.
At what temperature is that supposed to happen? If I quickly flick open
CCC, I can see on the Overdrive tab the temperature can be reading as high
as 100°C. Is the mechanism really meant to limit the temperature as high as
that?

I can also see that the VPU clock does not seem to have been reduced at all;
it is still there at an indicated 580MHz, which is the stock speed. I've a
feeling I've seen the memory frequency reduced, from the default 702MHz,
some of the time, but never the VPU clock.

I (relatively) recently vacuumed the inside of the computer case and blew as
much dust out of the CPU and video card coolers as I could, so it should be
reasonably clear. I can hear the fan on the video card accelerate while
playing, so I'm also pretty sure that's working as intended.

I'm using Catalyst 8.12 on Vista x64.

Neil

Old January 3rd 09, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Craig Coope

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 22:26:34 -0000, "Neil"
wrote:

[...]

I don't have Vista and I have never overclocked. I used to have an
X1950 (AGP) and it ran at about 75 Max. I used to have an 9800XT and
that ran a little higher sometimes. I've read that ATI generally runs
higher than Nvidia but I'd say 100C is a bit too much. It may not bust
your card in the short term but it certainly can't be good in the long
term. When I first got my 9800 I had to buy 3 chasis fans. 1 in at the
front and 2 out at the back. Brought my temp down by 10C I seem to
remember.

--
The Zero ST
Old January 3rd 09, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Neil

"Bill" wrote in message

First off what's the case temp while plaing the game? If the air in
the case is hot it won't cool the GPU or CPU well.

Case temperature is reported as 31-33°C.

Does anyone know:
At what temperature that warning will appear?
How far it will reduce the clock speed to try to bring the temperature down?
Which clocks is it supposed to affect? GPU, memory, or both?
Ought I to see the change in the CCC overdrive tab? [The default clock
speeds in the overdrive tab, which is where it is running are the lowest
settings available on the sliders. I wonder whether it is possible for it
to clock any lower than that automatically].

Second, theres a film that can build up on the cooling fins due to
pollution in the air. Since it's sticky, vacuuming won't get it off
or the dust that's stuck to it. This film can raise the temp just
like having too much heat grease on the CPU/heatsink interface. It
needs to be cleaned off with a Qtip and alchohol.

I think I'll pull out the video card and see if there is anything funny
going on.

Neil

Old January 3rd 09, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Neil

"Neil" wrote in message
et...

I (relatively) recently vacuumed the inside of the computer case and blew
as much dust out of the CPU and video card coolers as I could, so it
should be reasonably clear.

My previous vacuuming was completely ineffective as far as the video card
went. I never removed the plastic cover from over the top of the "organ
pipes" last time. I just took that cover off and looked properly at the
cooler and it was almost completely blocked. I have knocked around 40°C off
the gaming temperature by taking that cover off and dusting it properly.
Let that be a lesson to me - and anyone else who cares to read it.

I feel much more comfortable now. (And so does the GPU probably).

Neil

Old January 3rd 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Make sure you have filters on all of your case's intake fans. They go a long
way in preventing dust buildup inside the case. See here for example
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FG-041-AK

et...