Weird experience with GTX 275

Old December 29th 09, 07:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Default Weird experience with GTX 275

I posted about this on the RPG game group if you want to
see more detail:

I replaced a blown 8800 GT with a new GTX 275 from EVGA.
I was surprised to see that the 275 had a much lower
frame rate than the 8800 in games like Gothic3 and Risen.
I had read tests on the 275, and it was clearly the superior
card. I tried dialing the performance settings back in both
games, but the fps stayed low. Then I noted that the driver
for the 275 had lots of adjustments that might "tune" the
card to my system. So, I ran the 18 minute version of
NTUNE included in the driver. The result was amazing.
Now my 275 has a tremendous frame rate and both
Gothic3 and Risen run smooth as glass ??????

Note: I did not overclock the 275. I just tuned it.

johns
Old December 29th 09, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"johns" wrote in message
I posted about this on the RPG game group if you want to
see more detail:

I replaced a blown 8800 GT with a new GTX 275 from EVGA.
I was surprised to see that the 275 had a much lower
frame rate than the 8800 in games like Gothic3 and Risen.
I had read tests on the 275, and it was clearly the superior
card. I tried dialing the performance settings back in both
games, but the fps stayed low. Then I noted that the driver
for the 275 had lots of adjustments that might "tune" the
card to my system. So, I ran the 18 minute version of
NTUNE included in the driver. The result was amazing.
Now my 275 has a tremendous frame rate and both
Gothic3 and Risen run smooth as glass ??????

Note: I did not overclock the 275. I just tuned it.

johns

When you initially removed the 8800GT and put the new card in, did you d/l
and install new drivers from nVidia? The only way a GTX 275 card will run
slower than an 8800GT is if there is something seriously wrong with the
installed driver.

Old December 30th 09, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 12/29/2009 9:48 AM, Augustus wrote:

"johns" wrote in message
[...]

Last I knew, GT200 cards downclock themselves automatically if
sufficient amps aren't supplied over the +12v. I don't know why the
driver wouldn't warn the OP about this, but it should show up in any
overclocking or tweaking utilitiy where you can see your actual clock
speeds.