8600GTS vs 9800GT EE

Old December 19th 09, 08:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JB

Default 8600GTS vs 9800GT EE

Hi,

I am running an EVGA 8600 GTS and am considering upgrading to a 9800GT EE
that Fry's has for $90 this week. The specs on that latter card are
considerably better.

I only play one game, a combat flight sim called IL2 Forgotten Battles and
the old card runs it quite well on perfect graphic settings except for an
occasional pause of about a half a second. At low altitudes in dense
scenery there is a slight stutter at times. I use the OGL settings rather
than Direct X.

I don't know the source of the pauses.

My rig is an Intel E2180 overclocked 10% with a 945GCT chipset. RAM is 2GB
dual channel. The OS is Win 7 but the game acts the same in XP.

Is the upgrade likely to cure the pauses? Have any of you tested both of
these cards and arrived at an educated opinion?

Thank you.

Mike

Old December 19th 09, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Is the upgrade likely to cure the pauses? Have any of you tested both of
these cards and arrived at an educated opinion?

Thank you.

Mike

The game dates back to before the Barton 2500+ or P4 Northwood 2.0 Ghz
system was introduced. The Radeon 9800 Pro was not out until a month after
this game was released. No, from what I can see in the forums the pausing is
a common complaint, even with people running the game on new Phenom Quad
core systems running at 3.7Ghz and Radeon HD4870 cards. It's a game design
and engine issue. I hardly think it would be taxing an 8600GT card or your
slower dual core system. A game from 2003 will not even be dual or quad
core aware. My only advice would be to insure you've d/l'd and installed
the latest and last 1.21 patch and to post on forums where this game is
discussed.

Old December 20th 09, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JB

"Augustus" wrote in message
[...]

The 9800GT EE is an nvidia product, not ATI. I gave my Radeon 9800 Pro to
Goodwill.

I should have said the game is IL2 1946, not Forgotten Battles but it's
basically the same animal.

Thank you for your input.

Old December 20th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_5_]

The 9800GT EE is an nvidia product, not ATI. I gave my Radeon 9800 Pro to
Goodwill.

I should have said the game is IL2 1946, not Forgotten Battles but it's
basically the same animal.

Thank you for your input.

I'm fully aware a 9800GT EE is an nVidia product. My point was that your
game was released around the same time as the ATI 9800 Pro was released.
The nVidia flagship from the 2003 era was the GeForce FX 5800 series. The
primary point I was making is that the game is ancient and that 6 1/2 years
of video card, memory,and mainboard hardware development have occurred
since then. This is massive orders of magnitude in video and processing
ability. Any lag or stalling issues in the game you are encountering now are
due to the code in the game.