New video card

Old June 21st 09, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cristiano

Default New video card

I have a Radeon X1950 Pro on a motherboard ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (PCI-E).

I thought to buy the HD 4850 (about 170$) or the HD 4870 Vapor-X 1GB (about
250$).

Is the PCI-E connector of the MB good?

Looking at some benchmarks, it seems that the 4870 is around 3 times faster
than the X1950 (I saw a Crysis based benchmark). Is it possible?
Any suggestion?

Grazie
Cristiano

Old June 21st 09, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Cristiano wrote:
I have a Radeon X1950 Pro on a motherboard ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (PCI-E).

I thought to buy the HD 4850 (about 170$) or the HD 4870 Vapor-X 1GB (about
250$).

Is the PCI-E connector of the MB good?

Looking at some benchmarks, it seems that the 4870 is around 3 times faster
than the X1950 (I saw a Crysis based benchmark). Is it possible?
Any suggestion?

I suggest Radeon 4770!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.29.5
Old June 21st 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"Cristiano" wrote in message
I have a Radeon X1950 Pro on a motherboard ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (PCI-E).

I thought to buy the HD 4850 (about 170$) or the HD 4870 Vapor-X 1GB
(about 250$).

In North America, the HD 4890 1GB is about the same price as the HD 4870
Vapor-X card. If the same holds true in Italy, get the HD 4890. It is about
10% faster than the HD 4870.

Is the PCI-E connector of the MB good?

Yes. Why wouldn't it be good?

Looking at some benchmarks, it seems that the 4870 is around 3 times
faster than the X1950 (I saw a Crysis based benchmark). Is it possible?
Any suggestion?

Yep, and the same holds true in other games like Call of Duty 4:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...-v1.6,745.html

Old June 21st 09, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"First of One" wrote in message
"Cristiano" wrote in message
I have a Radeon X1950 Pro on a motherboard ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (PCI-E).

I thought to buy the HD 4850 (about 170$) or the HD 4870 Vapor-X 1GB
(about 250$).

In North America, the HD 4890 1GB is about the same price as the HD 4870
Vapor-X card. If the same holds true in Italy, get the HD 4890. It is
about 10% faster than the HD 4870.

I second the vote for the HD 4890 1Gig.......assuming it's available there
and at a competitive price. When I upgraded from an 8800GT to a GTX 260
card, the size (length) difference was vast. Surgery required on my full
sized case. I don't thing the HD 48XX series is as long as the nVidia
beasts. Check your case against the HD 4890 dimensions.....I'll give you
imperial and metric below.

Imperial
9.5 x 4.376 x 3.8
Metric
24.1 x 11 x 3.8

Old June 21st 09, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cristiano

First of One wrote:
In North America, the HD 4890 1GB is about the same price as the HD
4870 Vapor-X card. If the same holds true in Italy, get the HD 4890.
It is about 10% faster than the HD 4870.

Here, the 4890 is about 17% more expensive (212 euros vs 181).
How do you know that I'm posting from Italy, my email?

Is the PCI-E connector of the MB good?

Yes. Why wouldn't it be good?

Because the 4870 has a PCI-E x16 2.0, while my MB has 1.0. But it would be
just a bandwidth "problem".

Looking at some benchmarks, it seems that the 4870 is around 3 times
faster than the X1950 (I saw a Crysis based benchmark). Is it
possible? Any suggestion?

Yep, and the same holds true in other games like Call of Duty 4:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...-v1.6,745.html

Interesting link, thank you.
Cristiano

Old June 21st 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

How do you know that I'm posting from Italy, my email?

Your post has a valid email with an *.it extension attached to your
username. It's never a good idea to post a valid emal to n/g or web forums
as bots harvest them non stop and generate endless spam to that address.

Old June 21st 09, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cristiano

Augustus wrote:
Your post has a valid email with an *.it extension attached to your
username. It's never a good idea to post a valid emal to n/g or web
forums as bots harvest them non stop and generate endless spam to
that address.

I added "NS" which makes the address invalid.

Cristiano

Old June 21st 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"Cristiano" wrote in message
Augustus wrote:
Your post has a valid email with an *.it extension attached to your
username. It's never a good idea to post a valid emal to n/g or web
forums as bots harvest them non stop and generate endless spam to
that address.

I added "NS" which makes the address invalid.

Cristiano

I did see that, it doesn't always work nowadays. A few years back it was
more effective.

Old June 21st 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"Cristiano" wrote in message
Here, the 4890 is about 17% more expensive (212 euros vs 181).

I see. Well, whether the 10% higher performance is worth the 17% higher
price is up to you do decide. Personally I'd go for the 4890 because it is
still a tremendous value compared to the likes of GTX 280/285.

How do you know that I'm posting from Italy, my email?

1) Email. 2) Prices you quoted were significantly higher than American
prices.

Checking after the fact, news.x-privat.org's IP address is registered to a
company in Codogno, Italy, according to the RIPE whois database. It's
another indication that you are in Italy.

Because the 4870 has a PCI-E x16 2.0, while my MB has 1.0. But it would be
just a bandwidth "problem".

PCIe 2.0 cards are backward-compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots by design.
Real-world applications (i.e. games) can hardly exploit the full bandwidth
of PCIe x16 1.0, let alone 2.0.

Old June 22nd 09, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

If you go on Zipzoomfly or Google Shopping, you will find very few places
now have HD 4770 cards in stock. After a big launch, TSMC's 40nm
difficulties are manifesting themselves at the retail level.

"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" wrote in
message ...
I suggest Radeon 4770!