Windows7 RC1 x64 + Nvidia 8800GTX

Old June 16th 09, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

Default Windows7 RC1 x64 + Nvidia 8800GTX

Hi,
I have Windows7 Ultimate RC1 x64, a 8800GTX and driver version 185.85
installed.

I also have 2 monitors:
Primary: 23" LCD res 2048x1152
2nd: 19" LCD res 1280x1024

All has been well with this combination for a couple of weeks, however
over the last couple of days my displays are getting garbled an example
is he http://twitpic.com/7j4j0

Not sure if the problem lies with Windows 7, Drivers, or GFX card?

As I say, all has been working well until a day or two ago when I
started to notice the display getting garbled a little -- it exhibits
itself in various places, sometimes the desktop wallpaper is garbled?

Anyone else had a similar experience? What's your thoughts? ... i'm
thinking it maybe the graphics card.

Brian.
Old June 16th 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kurt Herman

Sorry I can't see the picture of the problem you posted, but....

If you mean a "blurriness" of the desktop where you have moved the task bar
around, that is a known bug in Win 7 that hopefully will be fixed for the
final release. To get rid of it, I just switch into the Windows Basic look,
and switch back, and the blurriness is gone (at least until I reboot).

Microsoft has acknowledged that as a bug to be fixed.

Kurt

Old June 16th 09, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

Kurt Herman wrote:
Sorry I can't see the picture of the problem you posted, but....

If you mean a "blurriness" of the desktop where you have moved the task
bar around, that is a known bug in Win 7 that hopefully will be fixed
for the final release. To get rid of it, I just switch into the Windows
Basic look, and switch back, and the blurriness is gone (at least until
I reboot).

Microsoft has acknowledged that as a bug to be fixed.

Ok, uploaded image to a different place:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...0908-58-38.png

Notice the garbled text, and the scrollbar etc?

I wouldn't describe this as 'bluriness' - I don't tend to move the
taskbar .. though I do tend to move windows about from monitor to
monitor, bouncing the titlebar off the top of the screen maximises the
window to full screen .. quite a handy feature.

Brian.
Old June 16th 09, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

TheBoffin wrote:
Kurt Herman wrote:
Sorry I can't see the picture of the problem you posted, but....

If you mean a "blurriness" of the desktop where you have moved the
task bar around, that is a known bug in Win 7 that hopefully will be
fixed for the final release. To get rid of it, I just switch into the
Windows Basic look, and switch back, and the blurriness is gone (at
least until I reboot).

Microsoft has acknowledged that as a bug to be fixed.

Ok, uploaded image to a different place:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...0908-58-38.png

Notice the garbled text, and the scrollbar etc?

I wouldn't describe this as 'bluriness' - I don't tend to move the
taskbar .. though I do tend to move windows about from monitor to
monitor, bouncing the titlebar off the top of the screen maximises the
window to full screen .. quite a handy feature.

Brian.

I've just updated driver to v186.08beta to see if that helps
Old June 16th 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

TheBoffin wrote:

I've just updated driver to v186.08beta to see if that helps

Nope that hasn't helped ... ho hum
Old June 16th 09, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"TheBoffin" wrote in message
Hi,
I have Windows7 Ultimate RC1 x64, a 8800GTX and driver version 185.85
installed.

I also have 2 monitors:
Primary: 23" LCD res 2048x1152
2nd: 19" LCD res 1280x1024

All has been well with this combination for a couple of weeks, however
over the last couple of days my displays are getting garbled an example is
he http://twitpic.com/7j4j0

Not sure if the problem lies with Windows 7, Drivers, or GFX card?

As I say, all has been working well until a day or two ago when I started
to notice the display getting garbled a little -- it exhibits itself in
various places, sometimes the desktop wallpaper is garbled?

Anyone else had a similar experience? What's your thoughts? ... i'm
thinking it maybe the graphics card.

Brian.

From your photo it is may be a hardware issue with the card...like a BGA
memory module slowly flaking out.

Old June 16th 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

From your photo it is may be a hardware issue with the card...like a BGA
memory module slowly flaking out.

Now for the non-engrish version.....

From your photo it may be a hardware issue with the card...very possibly a
BGA
memory module slowly flaking out. Pull the card and try it in another box,
or boot with another OS (ex: Linux CD) on your system and see if it
persists.

Old June 17th 09, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

Augustus wrote:
From your photo it is may be a hardware issue with the card...like a BGA
memory module slowly flaking out.

Now for the non-engrish version.....

From your photo it may be a hardware issue with the card...very possibly a
BGA
memory module slowly flaking out. Pull the card and try it in another box,
or boot with another OS (ex: Linux CD) on your system and see if it
persists.

Alas I don't have another box I can try it in ... my other PC is a laptop

Think 'flaking' is an apt word here -- at the moment, there's no video
corruption at all. I installed the v186.08beta drivers yesterday - and
whilst I did get some corruption of video afterwards, i've had none at
all today.

So maybe it's heat related ... unfortunately i've not yet had chance to
take the lid off the box to see if the gfx fan is still rotating
freely... been a bit under pressure work wise!! ho hum.

Thanks for your opinions, if I get any more screen corruption i'll let
you know.

Brian.
Old June 17th 09, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Alas I don't have another box I can try it in ... my other PC is a laptop

Think 'flaking' is an apt word here -- at the moment, there's no video
corruption at all. So maybe it's heat related ... unfortunately i've
not yet had chance to take the lid off the box to see if the gfx fan is
still rotating freely... been a bit under pressure work wise!! ho hum.

I was given a 2 year old eVGA 8800GTX 768Mb card by my brother a couple
of months back. For him the problems began as textual and background
artifacts, then graduated to the classic red flickering "hash" marks across
the entire screen. Card was 18 months old and never overclocked in a well
vented case in a cool room. I took it apart, cleaned it out, put it together
with fresh themal compound on all the ram modules and GPU. Stuck it in my
kid's system that was running a 9600GT. Ran flawlessly for about 10 min,
then red zigzags everywhere. Bad BGA memory module. Since he never
registered the card with eVGA, it was off warranty (past one year) and
essentially a $600 (at the time) paperweight.
You can still boot your Windows7 x64 RC1 box into a fully operational OS
without compromising your existing install. Booting Knoppix is an easy one
to try. Hardware issues will show up in 2D on this.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html