Heat issue 8500DV

Old August 27th 03, 05:25 AM
@drian

Default Heat issue 8500DV

Is the 8500DV the one with the TV tuner? If so, from what I remember,
that TV tuner is the culprit of heat. The TV tuner on that model is
digital and heats up so bad, it can't be touched with a finger.

@drian.

Old August 27th 03, 02:26 PM
Dr. J

"@drian" wrote in message ...
Is the 8500DV the one with the TV tuner? If so, from what I remember,
that TV tuner is the culprit of heat. The TV tuner on that model is
digital and heats up so bad, it can't be touched with a finger.

@drian.

I have noticed this but never had an actual problem with it. If that
really is the issue there is the simple soilution of gluing a
heatsink/fan (or even a peltier cooler) on to it with thermal
compound. Try just latching it on 1st. You may notice improvement.
Just a jerry-rigging suggestion. Make sure that the sink/fan is
wither small enough to leave room for your next PCI card or to move
your PCI card closest to the AGP slot.
Old August 28th 03, 03:34 PM
Dodgy

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:25:14 GMT, "@drian" waffled
on about something:

Is the 8500DV the one with the TV tuner? If so, from what I remember,
that TV tuner is the culprit of heat. The TV tuner on that model is
digital and heats up so bad, it can't be touched with a finger.

@drian.

You're not kidding are you! The bl**dy thing chucks out more heat than
an overclocked Athlon! You'd have thought they might have put some
sort of standby circuitry in it for when you're not actually watching
something. I hate to think the juice that thing is burning up during
the 99% of it's life I'm not actually using it to tune to anything!

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old August 30th 03, 10:13 PM
@drian

You're not kidding are you! The bl**dy thing chucks out more heat
than
an overclocked Athlon! You'd have thought they might have put some
sort of standby circuitry in it for when you're not actually

watching
something. I hate to think the juice that thing is burning up during
the 99% of it's life I'm not actually using it to tune to anything!

I was a bit shocked at first. I sold my card when I found that out,
only because it heats up the inside of the PC so much. I'll note,
that ATI has used analog tuners from now on (i.e. longer tuners -vs-
shorter digital ones), and ditched the digital version. Toms Hardware
also noted the same thing in their article.

@drian.