Importance of DirectX 9 compatability

Old August 29th 03, 10:14 PM
Thomas

Default Importance of DirectX 9 compatability

Steve wrote:
I'll be ordering a system with the ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro
(http://www.ati.com/products/radeon90...pro/index.html). I
like the card because it is relatively cheap, has on screen TV
viewing capability, and enough memory (64 MB) to drive the somewhat
low-fi games I plan on using (Sim City 4000, Age of Empires) but I am
worried because it only states having DirectX 8.1 capability. Is this
something I should worry about or is DirectX 9 not an issue for most
users? I do plan on doing some basic home video editing if that is an
issue. Thanks for the help, Steve.

Not having Dx90 support doesnt matter, you just can't use all the special
effects in the games to come, like Halflife 2. With a budget videocard,
thats not advisable anyway ;-)

Thomas.

Old August 31st 03, 12:56 AM
NightSky 421

"Thomas" wrote in message

Not having Dx90 support doesnt matter, you just can't use all the special
effects in the games to come, like Halflife 2. With a budget videocard,
thats not advisable anyway ;-)

It blew me away to find out that my ATI Xpert 2000 32MB AGP video card that
I bought three and a half years ago for $150 Canadian will actually be
supported by Half-Life 2. I shudder at such a thought though. :-)