Best monitor resolution?

Old December 2nd 04, 05:23 AM
Richard Dower

Default Best monitor resolution?

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it 1024x768, but
the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons and
everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good monitor like
this?

Old December 2nd 04, 06:01 AM
Kill Bill

http://tinyurl.com/634ds

1600x1200@85Hz

Old December 2nd 04, 07:09 AM
John Doe

"Richard Dower" wrote:

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it
1024x768, but the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

Maybe you are too close.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons
and everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good
monitor like this?

A good monitor should look good at 1024x768.

The best monitor resolution, assuming Windows, is about 1024x768.
Resolution has a lot to do with font and object/window sizes.

One advantage (IMO the main advantage) of having a large screen
isn't so you can have a higher resolution, it is so you are more
able to relax and see clearly from varying distances away from the
screen.

Old December 2nd 04, 07:42 AM
User N

"Richard Dower" wrote in message ...
I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it 1024x768, but
the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons and
everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good monitor like
this?

I don't know what kind of lines you are talking about, but here
is something that might interest you...

http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archi.../23/94391.aspx

It talks about the DPI setting and some of the other tweaks you
can use to adjust sizes when you increase resolution.
Old December 2nd 04, 09:32 AM
#

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 05:23:39 -0000, Richard Dower wrote:

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it 1024x768, but
the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons and
everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good monitor like
this?

I run 1600 x 1200 on a 19" and it looks great - should be on yours too
(especially with the extra screenscape).
Old December 2nd 04, 02:34 PM
Rob

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Richard Dower" wrote:

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it
1024x768, but the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

Maybe you are too close.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons
and everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good
monitor like this?

A good monitor should look good at 1024x768.

The best monitor resolution, assuming Windows, is about 1024x768.
Resolution has a lot to do with font and object/window sizes.

One advantage (IMO the main advantage) of having a large screen
isn't so you can have a higher resolution, it is so you are more
able to relax and see clearly from varying distances away from the
screen.

Two seperate lines of thought on this. Many of us have larger monitors
for the extra real estate it provides. Jamming more onto one screen. I
would never consider running anything less than 1600x1200@85Hz on
my 21"

Old December 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
Doug

1280X1024 works quite well for me on my petite 19"...... Between this and
1024x768, the images/icons etc. seem to be disproportioned.

I think its just personal preference, try a few more and see what you
like..

Doug

Old December 2nd 04, 04:06 PM
Larc

wrote:

| I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it 1024x768, but
| the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.
|
| So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons and
| everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good monitor like
| this?

I have a ViewSonic 21", which actually displays 20". It's set at
1280x960 with 85Hz refresh. In order to compensate for shrinking icon
space and fonts, I increased icon spacing to 94 on both horizontal and
vertical as well as increasing icon font size to 12 (font is Verdana).
Other settable font sizes were increased as well.

My interest is in appearance and convenience rather than trying to
squeeze so much onto the desktop that I need a magnifying glass to see
everything.

I'm using WinXP in Classic mode. Not sure all this works in standard
XP mode.

Larc

Old December 3rd 04, 12:37 AM
John Doe

"Rob" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

The best monitor resolution, assuming Windows, is about 1024x768.
Resolution has a lot to do with font and object/window sizes.
One advantage (IMO the main advantage) of having a large screen
isn't so you can have a higher resolution, it is so you are more
able to relax and see clearly from varying distances away from the
screen.

Two seperate lines of thought on this. Many of us have larger
monitors for the extra real estate it provides. Jamming more onto
one screen. I would never consider running anything less than
1600x1200@85Hz on my 21"

By the way, the original author can change icon size in Windows (he
was distressed by small icons when changing to a higher resolution).

Bigger is better, of course. And a single monitor is simpler/easier.

But if you want more real estate in Windows (XP SP1, for example),
there are many advantages to using multiple, smaller monitors. The
benefit is maximized probably when the size/price curve skyrockets. I
not saying that point is less than 21", it might be 21" now, still
when you jack up the resolution to fit more Windows, you're viewing
distance becomes more restricted.

Old December 3rd 04, 04:16 AM
hona ponape

"Richard Dower" :
I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, 22". I normally run it 1024x768, but
the screen is sooooooo big i see lines on the screen.

So i went 1152x864 and the lines are not so noticable, but icons and
everything/desktop is smaller. Any idea what is best for a good monitor like
this?

I use 1800x1440 on a 21" monitor with fonts set to 120 dpi. Secondary
monitor is 1600x1200 on a 19".
Before I messed with the DPI settings, the highest resolution I could take
was 1600x1200 on the 21 and 1280x1024 on the 19.