AMD versus Intel

Old March 26th 10, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Daniel Prince

Default AMD versus Intel

Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which would use the least
power? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old March 27th 10, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Daniel Prince neutrino1 ca.rr.com wrote:

Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which would use the least
power?

That depends on the CPU choice. If you really want to conserve
energy and know how much power your system actually uses, by a $20
US electricity meter like a Kill-A-Watt (or whatever brand/model
anyone else wants to mention). My Intel Q9550 system uses between
110 and 195 watts. Beware of Intel stock heatsink/fan
combinations, with no backplate, they crater your motherboard.
Old March 27th 10, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nobody >[_2_]

Daniel Prince wrote:
Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which would use the least
power? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Bang for buck: AMD

Reliability: equal

Longevity: Too many variables to say. The CPU chip itself is pretty much
bulletproof if not abused, so I'd leave that out of it. Things like bad
power supplies and other sundry parts are far more likely to die
instead, and that's independent of the chip make.

For most all purposes, the 'pooter is out of date long before "longevity
issues" occur.

Power: Depends on the particular chip from each.

BTW, why didn't you Google this? You'd find that this particular
question has been asked so many times by so many people that it's a dead
horse. It's as lame as the old "Ford vs Chevy" wars on the car groups.
Old March 27th 10, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 27, 9:29*am, "nobody " wrote:
BTW, why didn't you Google this? You'd find that this particular
question has been asked so many times by so many people that it's a dead
horse. It's as lame as the old "Ford vs Chevy" wars on the car groups.

Well it was news to me, I enjoyed the thread.

And who is better, Ford vs Chevy? I say Ford. And I say Intel.
Seems AMD and Chevy are fading fast.

RL

Old March 27th 10, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

Daniel Prince wrote:

Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard?

Probably AMD

Which would be the most reliable and last the longest?

Neither, both. Much depends on the motherboard.

Which would use the least power?

Probably Intel.

Thank you in advance for all replies.

You're welcome.

--
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Old March 27th 10, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

On 27/03/2010 6:04 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
Which would give the most performance per dollar

I want to say your momma, but I won't.

, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard?

The CPUs are much of a muchness unless you're planning on doing a
specific task that the specific CPU you're considering does
significantly better in. and it all depends on the specific CPUs that
fit into your budget. Then you have to consider the mainboards that are
available.

Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest?

Yes.

Which would use the least
power?

Yes.

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old March 27th 10, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Wilkes[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 07:00:23 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

On Mar 27, 9:29*am, "nobody " wrote:
BTW, why didn't you Google this? You'd find that this particular
question has been asked so many times by so many people that it's a dead
horse. It's as lame as the old "Ford vs Chevy" wars on the car groups.

Well it was news to me, I enjoyed the thread.

And who is better, Ford vs Chevy? I say Ford. And I say Intel.
Seems AMD and Chevy are fading fast.

RL

I am scoping a cheap system, and the information I have come across
suggests that AMD can't compete with Intel at the high end of the CPU
market, so they are relegated to the low end and have to sell their CPUs at
a discount. Hence if you are looking for a sub-$200 CPU, AMD may be a
better value.
Old March 28th 10, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Manuel[_4_]

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:04:42 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which would use the least
power? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Intel are faster, but they are expensive. AMD are reliable and cost
less.

I've got both. The workstation I use for work is Intel, and I'm proud
of it, but I've got two AMD notebooks and I was able to get good
notebooks at a very good price.

I could say: if you have money to spend, buy Intel, if you have a low
budget, buy AMD. In any case, both CPUs are reliable. AMD can use more
power but this doesn't make them less reliable.

--
Arts, Music, Technology - http://manuelmarino.com

Has technology impoverished the actual experience
of listening to music? - http://manuelmarino.com/forum
Old March 29th 10, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LSMFT

On 03/27/2010 10:00 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:29 am, "nobody " wrote:
BTW, why didn't you Google this? You'd find that this particular
question has been asked so many times by so many people that it's a dead
horse. It's as lame as the old "Ford vs Chevy" wars on the car groups.

Well it was news to me, I enjoyed the thread.

And who is better, Ford vs Chevy? I say Ford. And I say Intel.
Seems AMD and Chevy are fading fast.

RL

American cars suck on gas mileage. A foreign processor would probably
give you better mileage and reliability.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............
Old March 29th 10, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rick[_9_]

Daniel Prince wrote:
Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which would use the least
power? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

I believe that AMD is still having problems with heat so Intel would
currently be the best choice. I have always used AMD processors but, I
would go with the Intel brand today.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND