can I upgrade to a GeForce 7900 gs?

Old January 24th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default can I upgrade to a GeForce 7900 gs?

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an ATI Radeon x1300 Pro pci-e to
the GeForce 7900GS pci-e. However, under the system requirements for
this card it says I will need "A PCI Express® supplementary power
connector". My x1300 I use is a pci-e card and does not need a supp.
power connector...does this mean if I want to upgrade my card I will
need to install a cable from the power connector to the card? Will I
be able to just pop my old card out and put this one in? Thanks!

I have a semi-new Dell Dimension 9200 core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

Old January 24th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article .com,
says...
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an ATI Radeon x1300 Pro pci-e to
the GeForce 7900GS pci-e. However, under the system requirements for
this card it says I will need "A PCI Express® supplementary power
connector". My x1300 I use is a pci-e card and does not need a supp.
power connector...does this mean if I want to upgrade my card I will
need to install a cable from the power connector to the card? Will I
be able to just pop my old card out and put this one in? Thanks!

I have a semi-new Dell Dimension 9200 core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

All cards usually come with a cable adapter which allows you to use a
spare 4 pin HDD Molex. Some come with a splitter as well in case you've
not got one spare.

--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's **** list, you're not doing anything
worthwhile.
Old January 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an ATI Radeon x1300 Pro pci-e to
the GeForce 7900GS pci-e. However, under the system requirements for
this card it says I will need "A PCI Express® supplementary power
connector". My x1300 I use is a pci-e card and does not need a supp.
power connector...does this mean if I want to upgrade my card I will
need to install a cable from the power connector to the card? Will I
be able to just pop my old card out and put this one in? Thanks!

I have a semi-new Dell Dimension 9200 core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

7900GT is 48.4 watts in 3D.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...r-noise_4.html

X1300 pro is 30.6W

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...r-noise_7.html

The 7900GS is supposed to be "cut down" 7900GT, according to Xbitlabs.
Which means the power consumption should not be an issue.

This one shows a Molex 1x4 connector on the edge.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...125-045-03.jpg

On another 7900GS I looked at, the connector on the edge is a
PCI Express 2x3 connector. Bundled with the card, is an
adapter cable. Since the power level of the 7900GS is low
enough, you could take two connectors on the same spare
disk drive power cable, connect them to this adapter type,
and then to the video card.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...122-010-05.jpg

Uninstall the ATI drivers. Shut down and unplug. Install the new video card.
Plug in and power up. Install the Nvidia driver. (Get the latest driver
from the Nvidia site, before you start, if you don't want to use the
one on the product CD.)

HTH,
Paul
Old January 24th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

You will have to connect a connector on the video card to a power cable from
your PSU.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an ATI Radeon x1300 Pro pci-e to
the GeForce 7900GS pci-e. However, under the system requirements for
this card it says I will need "A PCI Express® supplementary power
connector". My x1300 I use is a pci-e card and does not need a supp.
power connector...does this mean if I want to upgrade my card I will
need to install a cable from the power connector to the card? Will I
be able to just pop my old card out and put this one in? Thanks!

I have a semi-new Dell Dimension 9200 core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

I just upgraded to a 7900GS last night from a 6800 vanilla on pretty much
the same rig as yours.. All I can say is WOW! Really great card for the
money. I'm an avid UT2004 player and my framerates will not go below 100
with max eye candy. I was very blown away with what this card will actually
do. I know there are faster cards, but you're going to spend tall bank to
get them when this one will do fantastik in it's own right.
It does need attached to a molex but you get a splitter to do this and it's
very simple.

Oh, and this card overclocks like a mother****er too. A lot of the sites I
read about say as much as a 25% increase is possible. I put in coolbits but
I won"t stress it until I get an aftermarket cooler on it. I'm going to
install a few games this week and overclock this weekend. I'll let you know
how it does in some real world gaming.