Advice on Quadro

Old December 4th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giacomo

Default Advice on Quadro

I'm going to build my new system (shuttle SN27P2, XP 4600+ dual core, 2
GB Ram), and cannot decide about the VC. For a non professional use of
opengl 3D apps, is the quadro fx 560 enough or the money to get the
fx1300 / 1400 is worth it?

TIA,
Giacomo.
Old December 4th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Giacomo:

I'm going to build my new system (shuttle SN27P2, XP 4600+ dual core, 2
GB Ram), and cannot decide about the VC. For a non professional use of
opengl 3D apps, is the quadro fx 560 enough or the money to get the
fx1300 / 1400 is worth it?

For non-professional use any Geforce cards should be more than enough,
especially since the drivers of Geforce and Quadro are identical...

Benjamin
Old December 4th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giacomo

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Giacomo:

I'm going to build my new system (shuttle SN27P2, XP 4600+ dual core, 2
GB Ram), and cannot decide about the VC. For a non professional use of
opengl 3D apps, is the quadro fx 560 enough or the money to get the
fx1300 / 1400 is worth it?

For non-professional use any Geforce cards should be more than enough,
especially since the drivers of Geforce and Quadro are identical...

Benjamin

Well, in a way you may be right, but... I have a Geforce4 TI 4200 AGP 8X
modded into Quadro 780 XGL with Rivatuner, and it's rock solid and
stable with all apps. Not really a speed monster but very very reliable.

I tried, and was really disappointed with, a 6200 and a 6600. The 6200
is dead slow, and the 6600 crashes all the time, no matter the driver,
and is just a little faster than the TI 4200.

That said, for the future, I'm going for the quadro. Series FX 5xx is
just entry level, 6600 class, if I get it right. The FX1300/1400 series
is at least 6800 class, if not even better, and I'm going to keep the
system at least 3 years. That's why I can't make up my mind.

Giacomo
Old December 5th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Giacomo wrote:
I'm going to build my new system (shuttle SN27P2, XP 4600+ dual core, 2
GB Ram), and cannot decide about the VC. For a non professional use of
opengl 3D apps, is the quadro fx 560 enough or the money to get the
fx1300 / 1400 is worth it?

TIA,
Giacomo.

You don't need a Quadro unless you're running high end 3D CAD and
visualization apps. And no, AutoCAD does not qualify as high end 3D.
Catia, Unigraphics, Solidworks, and Wildfire do. Even if you're only
messing around with these apps on a casual basis (or at home license),
you only need a decent GF6 or 7, the Quadro will gain you absolutely
nothing outside of specific circumstances.

Old December 5th 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Giacomo:

For non-professional use any Geforce cards should be more than enough,
especially since the drivers of Geforce and Quadro are identical...

Well, in a way you may be right, but... I have a Geforce4 TI 4200 AGP 8X
modded into Quadro 780 XGL with Rivatuner, and it's rock solid and
stable with all apps. Not really a speed monster but very very reliable.

I tried, and was really disappointed with, a 6200 and a 6600. The 6200
is dead slow, and the 6600 crashes all the time, no matter the driver,
and is just a little faster than the TI 4200.

Well, of course the 6200 is dead slow (it's the lowest end card you can
get), and if a card crashes all the time then there is some serious
(hardware) problem that cries for being resolved.

That said, for the future, I'm going for the quadro. Series FX 5xx is
just entry level, 6600 class, if I get it right.

Depends. The QFX540 is a GFX5200, the QFX550/560 is a GF7600...

But if a GF6600 crashes in your system then there is a very good chance
the Quadro does the same. Just because it's a Quadro doesn't mean it's
more stable than a Geforce.

The FX1300/1400 series
is at least 6800 class, if not even better,

Well, the Quadro FX 1400 is basically a Geforce FX 5950 which is older
and slower than a GF6800. The Quadro FX 1300 is basically a GF 6800.

and I'm going to keep the
system at least 3 years. That's why I can't make up my mind.

I understand your point, but honestly, if a Geforce card runs unstable
in your system there is something wrong which a Quadro can't solve. I'd
first look for the cause of the instability..

Besides that, you should look on your applications. If you don't run
programs (i.e. MCAD packages) that make explicit use of the few
additional Quadro features (like AA lines) then a Quadro is just a waste
of money. Geforce and Quadro GPUs are identical as are the drivers,
Geforce does OpenGL as good as a Quadro. And there is no need for any
"mods" like SoftQuadro. Just be sure to get a reliable Geforce card
(i.e. from PNY, which also makes the Quadro cards) and not a overclocker
toy...

Benjamin
Old December 5th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
xmradio

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Giacomo:

[...]

I go the qfx 560 card. I notice on nvidia's web site, I get directed to
different directory for drivers, than the regular nvidia drivers.

I have used both drivers, but perfer the fx 560 drivers, because it has more
features.

xman

Old December 5th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* xmradio:

I go the qfx 560 card. I notice on nvidia's web site, I get directed to
different directory for drivers, than the regular nvidia drivers.

Right, because if you choose "Quadro" you are redirected to the
certified drivers (from time to time the current ForceWare driver gets
certified for several applications). But that doesn't change a thing
that the drivers are 100% identical.

I have used both drivers, but perfer the fx 560 drivers, because it has more
features.

That's nonsense. The Nvidia control panel offers more features when a
Quadro is detected. But that's also the case with the regular ForceWare
drivers - because they are identical ;-)

Benjamin
Old December 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
xmradio

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* xmradio:

I go the qfx 560 card. I notice on nvidia's web site, I get directed to
different directory for drivers, than the regular nvidia drivers.

Right, because if you choose "Quadro" you are redirected to the certified
drivers (from time to time the current ForceWare driver gets certified for
several applications). But that doesn't change a thing that the drivers
are 100% identical.

I have used both drivers, but perfer the fx 560 drivers, because it has
more features.

That's nonsense. The Nvidia control panel offers more features when a
Quadro is detected. But that's also the case with the regular ForceWare
drivers - because they are identical ;-)

Benjamin

Thanks for the info...I'll be getting the regular nvidia for the other
box...

xman