Complete newbie question(s) (long)

Old December 26th 03, 11:06 PM
Chris Martin

Default Complete newbie question(s) (long)

What I know I have:

Motherboard - MSI K7 Master-S (MS-6341)
Processor - amd athlon xp 1900+

My processor is running at 1200... and (stupidly as I am) I just decided
that I would flip (if I remember correctly) the core voltage in bios from
100 to 133.. well, the processor then boots up to a 1900+.. I was thrilled,
getting potential outta the computer.. then it hung after windows splash.
Ok, fair enough, I messed with something I didn't understand and got what I
deserved. I changed the voltage back to 100 and everything is fine.

Point: Could somebody tell me what exactly the different
voltage/current/whatever settings in the bios actually effect (in regards to
overclocking), and if they have to be modified in a certain pattern in order
to successfully oc. (Anyone else think that it's sad that I have a comp sci
degree?)... A web site that explains this would be wonderful if anyone
knows of one, I haven't seen one yet that goes item by item in
explanations..

Lastly - From what I have read, different brands or models of these
processors can and cannot be overclocked... is there a way for me to find
out what brand of processor I have (was a while ago when I bought it, box
long gone) without removing the processor fan and disturbing the thermal
compound?

Alright, sorry that was so long, thanks to anyone who even reads it let
alone tries to help me in my quest for knowledge and speed..

~Chris Martin

Old December 27th 03, 12:04 AM
Chris Martin

"Ed" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:06:22 GMT, "Chris Martin"
wrote:

[...]

Just to get this thread started....

100 & 133 is the bus speed or better known as the Front Side Bus (FSB).
Vcore is the CPU voltage and should only need to be adjusted when over
clocking the CPU.

The CPU MHz is obtained by taking the FSB speed and multiplying it by
the CPU multiplier, for example the AMD Athlon 1900+ runs at 1600MHz
(1.6GHz), by default it uses a 12x multiplier and a 133Mhz bus...
133.33 x 12 = 1600MHz.

Cheers,
Ed

Ah, so right now I'm using a 100Mhz GSB speed with a 12x multiplier, which
is why i'm getting 1200MHz.. ok, that's a good start, thanks. My board
supports 133 FSB speed. I believe the 'multiplier' selection in the bios is
set to default.. take it that's 12x on my board?

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to more.

~Chris