A7S8X dual display problem

Old May 29th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A7S8X dual display problem

Hi all,

I have an A7S8X-MX board with onboard video and I'm trying to setup
dual display with onboard+ATI7500AiW card but failed. When I switched
to enable dual display and initial video on AGP, neither video works
after reboot - need to clear BIOS to get back in. I'm not sure what
I'm missing. What's the proper way to set this up?

One thing for sure is suspecious is that the option for 'video share
memory' is missing in the BIOS. What could be the cause?

Regards,
Ernest

Old May 30th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

old man wrote:
Does this board actually support using onboard vid and AGP at the same time?
many/most do not

I presume it does as it has such an option on the mobo BIOS.

Ernest

Old May 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Then I cannot realy comment other than pointing out that there can be great
difficulties in getting two different vid cards to coexist, I've seen posts
where a combination works on one sys but not another.
Your simplest option would be to use a dual vid.enabled card.

"ernest" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 31st 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

ernest wrote:
Hi all,

I have an A7S8X-MX board with onboard video and I'm trying to setup
dual display with onboard+ATI7500AiW card but failed. When I switched
to enable dual display and initial video on AGP, neither video works
after reboot - need to clear BIOS to get back in. I'm not sure what
I'm missing. What's the proper way to set this up?

One thing for sure is suspecious is that the option for 'video share
memory' is missing in the BIOS. What could be the cause?

I don't think it is possible to have 2 AGP- graphics adapters working in the
machine at the same time.

Old May 31st 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I have an A7S8X-MX board with onboard video and I'm trying to setup
dual display with onboard+ATI7500AiW card but failed. When I switched
to enable dual display and initial video on AGP, neither video works
after reboot - need to clear BIOS to get back in. I'm not sure what
I'm missing. What's the proper way to set this up?

One thing for sure is suspecious is that the option for 'video share
memory' is missing in the BIOS. What could be the cause?

I don't think it is possible to have 2 AGP- graphics adapters working in the
machine at the same time.

Egil,

Hey do you're saying that the onboard video runs on the AGP bus as
well, even though the slot is not used? What I found is that I can now
get the onboard video to boot up but once the driver for onboard is
installed properly, the ATI hardware 'disappear' and is not showing up
on the 'hardware device'.

Ernest

Old June 1st 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Thanks all - I installed a PCI video card and it works well with the
onboard for dual display. I'm not sure what the 'enable dual display'
option in the BIOS does.

This A7S8X is not great, first off the FSB jumper description is WRONG
with 100 and 166 swapped. Then this dual display enable thing with AGP
boot up video I see nothing. OTOH I wonder if it is that much cheap to
build a jumper based FSB board vs software FSB... This is so
undesirable.

I really liked ASUS for a long time but this really prompts me about
the next mobo that I buy.... What other brand of mobo do you guys
recommend other than ASUS?

Ernest

Old June 1st 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Theres nothing wrong with Asus, but as stated previously may people with
differing hw have trouble getting two vid cards to work. Its often
better/simpler to use a dual enabled card, theres v.little price
differential.

oups.com...