Please Help - DirectX 9.0b and TNT2M64 - now my UT direct3d is choppy

Old August 25th 03, 03:59 PM
[___]BobNoxious

Default Please Help - DirectX 9.0b and TNT2M64 - now my UT direct3d is choppy

I have a TNT2M64 that came with my Dell Dimension 4100. Still using
original drivers (tried updating to detonator back a couple years ago
and got BSOD's, so I went back to original). Was on Directx 8.1 for
several months and all has been PEACHY with drivers and directx.
Now the "fun" begins...

Microsoft Windows Update informed me that my version of Directx 8.1
had "security gaps" and advised me to update to 9.0b. So, in
stupidity, I listened to Microsoft. Everything appears ok, except
UNREAL TOURNAMENT. In UT, my frame rates are now dropping everywhere
(in some cases to 9 fps). Even when playing with no bots on my pc in
practice mode, standard maps in direct3d are choppy.

I used "directx eradicator" to take off directx then subsequently
reinstalled the Microsoft versions of directx from dx7, dx8, dx8.1,
dx9.0b and each time all were still choppy and dropping frames.
dxdiag says all is fine!

Should I reinstall UT? Should I install nvidia's newest detonator FX
driver - or should I install the nvidia 30.82 WHQL driver - or should
I install the 3 year old driver in the support.dell.com downloads?

Please help/advise. Thank you.

-BobNoxious
Dimension 4100 Series,Pentium III at 733 MHz,
MS Windows 98 SE,
128MB RAM-512MB crucial RAM,
NVIDIA TNT2 M64 (32MB) AGP,
20.4GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
8x/4x/32x CD-RW,
DVD ROM with Software Decoding,
SB LIVE! Value Digital,
NIC Card w/ RoadRunner Cable Modem,
HP Deskjet 970cse,
HP Laserjet 6.
Old August 25th 03, 04:16 PM
Joe727

Update your motherboard chipset drivers. You probably have an Intel
chipset, but check the documentation that came with your PC or check the
Dell site to be sure.

Joe

m...

Old August 26th 03, 01:12 PM
[___]BobNoxious

Also noticed one more symptom last night: When I am loading web
pages (cable modem), the mouse movement is laggy/ not 100% responsive
/ until the page and images are completely loaded.

Old August 26th 03, 01:54 PM
Joe727

Did you update your motherboard chipset drivers?

It seems like most of your computer's resources are being used. What
programs are being run in the background?

Do you have a firewall like Zone Alarm installed?

Joe

om...