No Win98SE driver for Geforce 6600GT?

Old December 16th 04, 05:29 PM
John Russell

Default No Win98SE driver for Geforce 6600GT?

"Orhan" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I'm running a Dual-Boot system (XP Pro + Win 98SE) and intend to buy a
Winfast Geforce 6600 GT video card. But the latest available nVidia
driver for Win98SE is Forceware 61.76 and it doesn't support Geforce
6600 cards.

Should I wait for a driver update?

Any comments, please.

Orhan

Nvidia arn't support their chipsets under win9x, so why their GPU's? This
is despite the fact that Microsoft have extended their "update" service for
win98se/me untill the middle of next year.

But when you say the driver "supports" the 6600GT , isn't that a moot point.
No one (sensible?) is likely to run the latest games under 9x, and only the
latest games push modern cards to the level of needing dx9 shaders etc. So
won't the old pre 6600gt driver install and run, say dx8 games OK, which is
all you should be doing with win9x?

Old December 16th 04, 06:27 PM
DaveL

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_66.94

But it says in the release notes "NoAdded support for GeForce 6600, GeForce
6600 GT, and GeForce 6200 " . Is that "No" at the beginning a typo?

DaveL

Old December 16th 04, 06:42 PM
Quietman

Nvidia do support Windows 98 SE and ME

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

Old December 16th 04, 07:21 PM
tim gorman

Orhan wrote:

Hi,

I'm running a Dual-Boot system (XP Pro + Win 98SE) and intend to buy a
Winfast Geforce 6600 GT video card. But the latest available nVidia
driver for Win98SE is Forceware 61.76 and it doesn't support Geforce
6600 cards.

Should I wait for a driver update?

Any comments, please.

Orhan

I just got a XFX 6600GT for my son for a Christmas present. It comes with
drivers for win98se. They aren't the latest drivers, in fact I don't even
see them listed on the Nvidia site (I think they are 61.24 but I don't want
to unwrap the box again :-).

For those who think people don't run the latest games under win98, think
again. My sons do. At $150-$200 a pop to upgrade to XP and with 4 computers
in the house, those win98se computers are going to get pushed to the
breaking point before any upgrades begin. $600 to $800 for operating
software is just too damn expensive to plunk down at a whim - at least for
home/hobby/game use.

tim
Old December 16th 04, 09:51 PM
John Russell

"Quietman" quietman1968 at hotmail dot com wrote in message
Nvidia do support Windows 98 SE and ME

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

Hardly a 5.x series install, and no SATA driver for the nforce3/4!

Old December 16th 04, 09:54 PM
John Russell

"DaveL" wrote in message
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_66.94

But it says in the release notes "NoAdded support for GeForce 6600,
GeForce
6600 GT, and GeForce 6200 " . Is that "No" at the beginning a typo?

DaveL

But that could mean nothing more than the drivers contain no optimised code
for these GPU's, and the driver will just use "generic" code for the Nvidia
architecture, which again should be suffucient for win9x.

Old December 17th 04, 10:16 AM
John Smithe

tim gorman wrote in :

For those who think people don't run the latest games under win98, think
again. My sons do. At $150-$200 a pop to upgrade to XP and with 4 computers
in the house, those win98se computers are going to get pushed to the
breaking point before any upgrades begin. $600 to $800 for operating
software is just too damn expensive to plunk down at a whim - at least for
home/hobby/game use.

tim

I second this. I am running many new games. The OS is not the issue, the
hardware is. I have DX9.0c installed.
Old December 18th 04, 02:00 AM
First of One

Unless it's Doom3 or HL2?

. 1...

Old December 21st 04, 10:17 PM
CapFusion

"Orhan" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I'm running a Dual-Boot system (XP Pro + Win 98SE) and intend to buy a
Winfast Geforce 6600 GT video card. But the latest available nVidia
driver for Win98SE is Forceware 61.76 and it doesn't support Geforce
6600 cards.

Should I wait for a driver update?

Any comments, please.

Orhan

The latest nVidia for VGA driver version 66.94 should be able to support
6600GT model.
Windows 98 / ME / 95
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_66.94
Windows 98 driver can be use with 98 SE.

CapFusion,...