Asus V9999 Ultra 'buyer beware'

Old November 29th 04, 06:06 AM
Bob Bobsen

Default Asus V9999 Ultra 'buyer beware'

Hi all,
6800 Ultra, yes, Asus... No. I own a Asus V9999 ultra and had to void
my warranty to flash the BIOs to correct a problem Asus won't even
acknowledge. There is a problem with the 2D/3D settings in which the
core is speed is set to 400 when it should be 425 (same as the 2D
setting), this has caused me days, and weeks of headaches with games
'freezing' for no reason...
Asus used to have a forum in which you could 'sound out' problems but
it has been' temporarily' closed for the last three months!
I finally had to flash my bios (Asus claims there isn't even a
flashable bios on board) and now all runs at it should....
I had always bought Asus before....
NEVER AGAIN!
Regards,
Bobsen
Old November 29th 04, 10:25 AM
rjag

heard of similar problems with these cards all meaning that they had to be
flashed to make them stable.
ASUS get the finger out boys! If all the other manufacturers can do it why
can you?

Robin

Old November 29th 04, 12:42 PM
dvus

rjag wrote:

heard of similar problems with these cards all meaning that they had
to be flashed to make them stable.
ASUS get the finger out boys! If all the other manufacturers can do
it why can you?

AFAIK, the Asus V9999 is a plain vanilla GeForce 6800 with DDR3 memory on
board and is highly overclockable. I had terrible problems with mine that
seemed to just cure themselves after a few driver changes and physical
re-insertions, but I also had added dual-channel memory at the same time so
it could have been memory related.

I can say that using Driver Cleaner and then Asus proprietary drivers
(thanks to advice given in here) seems to produce the best results.

dvus

Old November 29th 04, 08:24 PM
Bob Bobsen

Hi all,
I tried all of that and short of sacrificing small animals NOTHING
short of the BIOS flashing helped. I many different drivers and still
experienced the lock up problems.. My biggest complaint is that for
the amount of cash this card cost and the TOTAL lack of support on
ASUS's side, I had to (albeit with help from a friendly guru) fix it
myself!
This problem is well known and yet ASUS does nothing. No support what
so ever.
Regards,
Bobsen

Old November 30th 04, 01:29 AM
Ed Light

Asus does tend to ignore problems, don't they? I can't get an answer on
whether they will fix the bad sensor readings on my a7v880, which other
users have too.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 30th 04, 01:07 PM
Vigil

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:06:56 +0100, Bob Bobsen wrote:

weeks of headaches with games 'freezing' for no reason...

It's not just an Asus problem. It's happening with other cards, too. See
this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

My Leadtek is freezing as well. I've tried everything but flashing with
another brand's BIOS. If that doesn't work, I'll have to replace it with
an ATI card. Another fecking £300 and I won't buy Nvidia again.

--

..

Old November 30th 04, 11:50 PM
CapFusion

"Vigil" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:06:56 +0100, Bob Bobsen wrote:

weeks of headaches with games 'freezing' for no reason...

It's not just an Asus problem. It's happening with other cards, too. See
this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

My Leadtek is freezing as well. I've tried everything but flashing with
another brand's BIOS. If that doesn't work, I'll have to replace it with
an ATI card. Another fecking £300 and I won't buy Nvidia again.

--

.

Is this problem on a Windows XP and recently install SP2?
Try disable the FireWall from Control Panel and restart Windows.

CapFusion,...

Old December 1st 04, 01:41 AM
Vigil

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:50:35 -0800, CapFusion wrote:

My Leadtek is freezing as well.

Is this problem on a Windows XP and recently install SP2? Try disable the
FireWall from Control Panel and restart Windows.

Yes it is, but the firewall service isn't even running.

--

..

Old December 1st 04, 05:55 PM
CapFusion

"Vigil" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:50:35 -0800, CapFusion wrote:

My Leadtek is freezing as well.

Is this problem on a Windows XP and recently install SP2? Try disable the
FireWall from Control Panel and restart Windows.

Yes it is, but the firewall service isn't even running.

Eventhough you stated the service is not running, can you check in Control
Panel for Firewall and see if it *ON* or *Off* ?

CapFusion,...

Old December 1st 04, 10:55 PM
Vigil

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:55:38 -0800, CapFusion wrote:

Eventhough you stated the service is not running, can you check in Control
Panel for Firewall and see if it *ON* or *Off* ?

Yeah it is off. I'm going to try geting ANOTHER power supply with a higher
current on the 12v line. This seems to be fixing some people's 6800
problems.

Cheers for your help.

--

..

asus v9999 GT/TD bumface General 2 November 20th 04 04:25 PM
ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard Andre General 2 October 13th 04 01:46 AM
Asus 4400 vs. Asus 5900 ( non ultra ) Benchmarks U. Müller Nvidia Videocards 1 December 6th 03 01:58 AM
ASUS V5590 ultra problem steve Nvidia Videocards 0 October 24th 03 07:54 PM
ASUS P4P8X "BEWARE" rippinchikkin Overclocking 0 September 2nd 03 06:57 PM